Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aeo

by Aeo

The Elita One in 30.9 mm / 350 mm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968690553.html was 117.5 grams. Not too bad for a 37€ product.
Spinnekop wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:02 am
Very disappointed this morning.
You could ask this Ebay seller https://www.ebay.com/str/pingthyy2010 if they can source a replacement cradle for you, they should also be able to supply one made out of aluminium
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I have a spare Elita One seatpost cradle from a 27.2mm seatpost that I don't need. But the diameter of the Elita cradle is slightly larger than 27.2mm, maybe 28.0mm? Does it really fit other seatposts than the Elita One?

In case anyone whats it send me a PM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Spinnekop wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:02 am
Very disappointed this morning.
Have had this annoying lower back issue but only left side. Checked everything. Blamed old age.
The past month I have been hearing a click click sound while pedaling. Blamed my Cannondale.

This morning cleaning the bike I saw the left side of the saddle is hanging lower than the right side.
Seems the cradle of the Darimo seatpost cracked / gave way.
Did not expect that.
Sitting is South Africa, this will be a dead loss to me.
Once again thought me that light is not always better.
I don't get one thing with this design!
Why does the rail supports stick outside the rocker cradle itself?
When you ride the weight and stress goes right down the rails, so it seems natural that this further transfer down to the seatpost/ rocker and rail support.
Rail support seems to have a stress point where your cradle has cracked.
I have several seatposts with carbon cradles but none have this failure. I think it's the design of the cradle, but i'm no expert.
On the otherhand, i have never seen any cradle with this specfic design.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:07 am
I don't get one thing with this design!
Why does the rail supports stick outside the rocker cradle itself?
When you ride the weight and stress goes right down the rails, so it seems natural that this further transfer down to the seatpost/ rocker and rail support.
Rail support seems to have a stress point where your cradle has cracked.
I have several seatposts with carbon cradles but none have this failure. I think it's the design of the cradle, but i'm no expert.
On the otherhand, i have never seen any cradle with this specfic design.
Exactly this. :thumbup:
It is almost "designed to fail" in a sense.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

DeiviX

by DeiviX

LackOfWatts wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:11 am
Does anyone know if a Darimo IX2 cpu mount will work with their new aluminum stem (IX2AL)?
it's not possible, sorry..

DeiviX

by DeiviX

Lucendi wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 pm
My second time ordering from Darimo is turning out to be a nightmare.

Darimo forgot my order for 10 weeks and finally sends me a defective stem.

June 10th, I placed the order and made the bank transfer.

August 19th I haven't heard anything and ask what the progress is.

August 31th Borja replies I haven't paid and sends a link to make a credit card payment.
- I reply that I indeed have paid and attach a pdf of the transfer from my bank.
- Alexia replies that they made a mistake and will put the order on production immediately and that I will recieve a "gift" to compensate for their mistake.

September 8th I recieve the order. The gift is a water bottle worth maybe 3-5€. And the stem has a clear manufacturing defect on the top side. A crease in the 3K weave that is both ugly and weakens the construction.
- I reply that I want to return the stem and get a replacement.

September 15th Borja replies that it is an esthetichal defect and he can offer a 20% discount.
- I reply that I insist on returning the stem.

To no ones surprise I am still waiting for a reply..
This week a new stem should come out with a gps mount. Excuse the accumulation of errors in your case

Lucendi

by Lucendi

DeiviX wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:08 pm
This week a new stem should come out with a gps mount. Excuse the accumulation of errors in your case
The frustration never ends.

2 weeks after requesting a return address I finally get one (that was last week). Then I was gonna get a new stem urgently (that was also last week), then I get a new email that I will be sent a new stem this week (I guess they were busy with Sea Otter 2022). To no ones surprise I have still not been sent anything.

I placed the order in the beginning of June and it is now October.

MeekMouse

by MeekMouse

Update (10.5.22) -- I'm working with Darimo to likely replace this Nexum, with a request that the bars not be drilled for internal routing. It's going on an Aethos build, so everything will be routed externally for ease of service.

----------------
I just received a Darimo Nexum cockpit ordered from r2, and it looks like the left cable routing exit hole is defective because the carbon fiber around may have delaminated. The carbon fiber in the area is visibly raised and can be felt by touch.

I've reached out to both r2 and Darimo for an assessment, but am a bit disappointed at the QC here.

I likely wouldn't feel fully comfortable riding these even if they provide an all-clear, but would be interested in thoughts from folks here in this thread.

From a weight perspective, a 380mm handlebar / 120mm stem combination came in at 203.5g.
Attachments
Close - B.jpg
Close - A.jpg
Far.jpg
20220930_164124.jpg
Last edited by MeekMouse on Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

That's a defect for warranty claim. The issue I would have with this is QC related, If something this obvious is skipped how can you have any confidence in the end product?!

MeekMouse

by MeekMouse

IvanZg wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:02 pm
That's a defect for warranty claim. The issue I would have with this is QC related, If something this obvious is skipped how can you have any confidence in the end product?!
Yeah, I'm waiting for a response, but am considering going with an Extralite stem and Easton E100 bars (which unfortunately don't come in 38cm).

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Spinnekop wrote:Very disappointed this morning.
Have had this annoying lower back issue but only left side. Checked everything. Blamed old age.
The past month I have been hearing a click click sound while pedaling. Blamed my Cannondale.

This morning cleaning the bike I saw the left side of the saddle is hanging lower than the right side.
Seems the cradle of the Darimo seatpost cracked / gave way.
Did not expect that.
Sitting is South Africa, this will be a dead loss to me.
Once again thought me that light is not always better.
These damage lines make me wonder how tight the saddle clamp bolts were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

MeekMouse wrote:
IvanZg wrote:
Yeah, I'm waiting for a response, but am considering going with an Extralite stem and Easton E100 bars (which unfortunately don't come in 38cm).
Look at the new Shimano Pro Vibe Super light as they come in 38cm and are in the 15Xg range

MeekMouse

by MeekMouse

RyanH wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:03 pm
MeekMouse wrote:
IvanZg wrote:
Look at the new Shimano Pro Vibe Super light as they come in 38cm and are in the 15Xg range
Thanks, hadn't seen that these had come out. Hopefully they'll have a bit of flare as well, which Darimo doesn't do on their road bars.

Also, any chance you just sold an Aethos? :beerchug:

Ritxis

by Ritxis

MeekMouse wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:49 pm
I just received a Darimo Nexum cockpit ordered from r2, and it looks like the left cable routing exit hole is defective because the carbon fiber around may have delaminated. The carbon fiber in the area is visibly raised and can be felt by touch.

I've reached out to both r2 and Darimo for an assessment, but am a bit disappointed at the QC here.

I likely wouldn't feel fully comfortable riding these even if they provide an all-clear, but would be interested in thoughts from folks here in this thread.

From a weight perspective, a 380mm handlebar / 120mm stem combination came in at 203.5g.

I think that those holes are made after the handlebar is finished, NOT during the manufacturing process........if so, it is a botched job to have left them like that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^
Either a small drill or dremel tool is used. Im sure you see this looking at the visual appearance of the holes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.