S-works Tarmac SL6 vs. Pinarello Dogma F10 vs. Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Titan45

by Titan45

Please help me by providing insight that you have or have heard! I have been looking through forums and youtube videos and everything and I can't decide. I love the looks of all 3 but think the Pinarello has the upper hand.

Trek Madone 9 won most aero in a few of the tests that were done and I guess very comfortable due to the IsoSpeed decoupler but I really don't like how difficult maintenance appears to be. Can someone that has tried the Trek Madone 9 chime in? It would be EXTRA helpful for someone who has weighed the whole frame (fork and seatpost included) and compared the comfort to one or both of the other bikes!

The SL6 looks good, people say it is very fast and responsive and comfortable. It is also the lightest of all 3 but not by much over the F10. I really like this frame's classic design, simple and straightforward.

The Pinarello is aero, not much heavier than the SL6 (my researching has led me to conclude it is only about 100 grams heavier so please correct me if I am wrong), and is such a rare bike to see probably because it is expensive. I am not concerned about the costs, just want a bike that will be a worthy investment.

Thank you for the help in advance!

wszs91

by wszs91

I was in the same situation, ended up getting a Pinarello F10, I already placed the order and waiting for the frameset to arrive. Got the new Matt black color (200 bob)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Titan45

by Titan45

Great, congrats on the new frame! :-) What made you decide on the F10? Did you test ride the others and get to compare side by side? I won't be in that position to do that. I am leaning heavily toward getting the F10 as well but wanted to make sure I was not making a mistake not getting the SL6 or the Madone

wszs91

by wszs91

All of them are very good bikes, but f10 is the best all rounder, aero, stiff, lightweight and its look made me go for it! Hopefully I get it in a couple weeks and I’ll be posting pics of my build!

I suggest you should try them all before you decide to buy, but if you really like the way it looks it should be between Madone and f10.

Titan45

by Titan45

Can't wait to see your new bike, excited for you!

Thank you for the advice, it helps confirm that the F10 is the bike I think I should go with :-)

TonyM

by TonyM

I decided for the F10 (against the SL6, BMc SLR01, Willier Cento10, etc...) and ordered a F10 disk last October. I wanted to have something less "mainstream" than all the S-Works, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale and Giant that I can see here around. I also wanted to have an allround bike with some aero features (my other bike is a C60). And with discs because of the rain/ showers over here (my C60 is the rim version). I took the F10 disk in the Red Magna, which is a quite flashy colour. With Dura Ace Di2, DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 48 and the Pro Vibe Stealth stem/ handlebar combo, I absolutely love it. Less comfortable than my C60 however.

But honestly you can't go wrong with any of these 3 bikes! It really depends on your likes and the type of rides that you do.
I would personnally put the F10 in the middle in terms of properties, having the SL6 slightly more comfortable and slightly less aero and the Madone slightly heavier and slightly more aero. But all differences are not that significang IMHO.

Take the one you like the most.

jhalmar

by jhalmar

Tour Magazin 2/2018 17.01.2018 comfirms that Pinarello is indeed heavier than S-Works Tarmac (only the X-Light version is close but also expensive) and not comfort at all. The magazine is in germany (easy to translate) and pretty cheap to buy as a digital version. There is also Madone.

johnsonmoog

by johnsonmoog

I've got a Madone 9.something (I think it's a 9.5), and an SL6 Pro. At the moment, possibly because of it's newness, I'm spending all my time on the SL6. It's lightweight for climbing and has some pretty good aero (allegedly as good as the previous incarnation of the Venge according to Specz, so take that as you will - but I think that was out around the time of the Madone's arrival???). Pro has a very good spec for what you get in terms of wheels etc.

The Madone is a very nice aero bike, and is pretty comfortable, but it is heavier. And, though the Madone has lots of technical do-dahs helping with decoupling the seat-post, I would say the SL6 matches it for comfort.

I'd tend towards the SL6 as more of an all rounder. Can't comment on the Pinarello though....

liam7020

by liam7020

Rode an F8, predecessor to the F10, for a year and absolutely hated it. It was far too stiff and I couldn't wait to sell it on. Just built up an SL6 and the ride quality is very good indeed. Almost Colnago levels of comfort but more responsive.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

TonyM

by TonyM

liam7020 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:14 pm
Rode an F8, predecessor to the F10, for a year and absolutely hated it. It was far too stiff and I couldn't wait to sell it on. Just built up an SL6 and the ride quality is very good indeed. Almost Colnago levels of comfort but more responsive.
Do you mean by stiffness that the F8 was not comfortable enough compared to the SL6?

Did you have the same wheels, tires, tubes, saddle, stem and handlebars on both the F8 and the SL6?

hannawald

by hannawald

Many people judge Pinarello as uncomfortable. It can also take only 25mm tyres. Other than that it is a great bike - looks, aero, stiffness..

TonyM

by TonyM

hannawald wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:29 pm
Many people judge Pinarello as uncomfortable. It can also take only 25mm tyres. Other than that it is a great bike - looks, aero, stiffness..
28mm in the disc version.

liam7020

by liam7020

TonyM wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Do you mean by stiffness that the F8 was not comfortable enough compared to the SL6?

Did you have the same wheels, tires, tubes, saddle, stem and handlebars on both the F8 and the SL6?
Found the F8 an uncomfortable bitch compared to any bike I've ever ridden. And that's a lot of bikes.

Everything the same except the saddle. Actually using a lighter, theoretically less comfortable, saddle on the SL6. Hated that F8.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

TonyM

by TonyM

liam7020 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:46 pm
TonyM wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Found the F8 an uncomfortable bitch compared to any bike I've ever ridden. And that's a lot of bikes.

Everything the same except the saddle. Actually using a lighter, theoretically less comfortable, saddle on the SL6. Hated that F8.

OK that matches with many people stating that the F8 (or F10) is not really comfortable.
For me the F10 is ok for that and I love it as it is a race bike. I was on the other side very surprised that the C60 was a very comfortable bike.
I have however to admit that my last bikes are 20-25 years old and that at that time everything was hard (steel, most alumimum except the 979 Vitus) or quite soft (titane, carbon).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Had a few Colnagos over the years - C40, Dream x2, Extreme C, M10 and now another C40 - and they always ride sublimely, even the aluminium ones are decent. Didn't get on with F8 at all.