cracked aluminum frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

I've attached a pic of an old standby aluminum frame that got a crack on the seat lug. My view is that I should cut the lug off, drill a new stress releaver hole at the back of the seattube, slot the tube and use a collar. I suppose it might be possible to weld the lug/rub shut, but I think this will entail higher expense, along with a possibility of the crack reopening later.

Any alternative ideas?
IMG_0140.JPG

flying

by flying

Your method sounds like a good option & will likely be fine

I guess the only question is that the remaining section is fairly short & close to a big weld
so might not flex enough when clamped to tighten. But if you slot as you say I imagine it would.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I would do as you propose.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What's the outer diameter of that seat tube?

/a

mattr

by mattr

NiFTY wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:05 am
I would do as you propose.
I have done as you propose. ;)

Cleaning up the top of the new seat tube was probably the most time consuming job.
Have seen it done several times, Even seen a sculpted clamp to clear a weld.......

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Before cutting I'd probably try to dremel away the ears and clean up the seat tube. Then I'd try to fit a clamp over it. If there is a big tube piece missing I'd try to fit something there.

The reasons for this are:
1. weak clamping force near a huge weld
2. hard to find clamps that are the right diameter and can provide enough clamping force to hold the seat tube
3. it looks better (personal) when the clamp isn't slammed

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

alcatraz wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:58 pm
Before cutting I'd probably try to dremel away the ears and clean up the seat tube. Then I'd try to fit a clamp over it. If there is a big tube piece missing I'd try to fit something there.

The reasons for this are:
1. weak clamping force near a huge weld
2. hard to find clamps that are the right diameter and can provide enough clamping force to hold the seat tube
3. it looks better (personal) when the clamp isn't slammed
Great advice. I would also add that it would be wise to lengthen the relief slot and include a new hole at the end of it. I've experienced a similar issue and this slot length increasement solved the cracking problem so well that the manufacturer adopted the modification.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com