Powermeter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timmy269

by Timmy269

After a long period of waiting I want to buy a power meter. My crank is a 3d+ of Rotor. I doubt between the power 2 max ngeco or the older type s. The NG is double of the price and to expensive. The ngeco and type 's are the same price.

euan

by euan

My NGeco has been great

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

No problem with my type S in the last 2 years and thousands of km.

Both are good! P2M has a solid reputation.

c60rider

by c60rider

I've had an NG campagnolo for 18 months and it's been faultless. Purchased a Campag 4 arm type S a few months ago and it also just works. The price of the type S and NGeco are the same when I last looked. One thing to consider is battery access. The Type S is slightly awkward from the inside of the spider behind a couple of grommets that are hiding 2 screws and then the cover on the outside of the spider pops off to give you access to the battery. The NGeco is the same as the NG and just has a simple cover on the outside. You don't have to replace batteries often but it's fiddly on the type S. But whichever you buy it will be excellent. :thumbup:

zirxo

by zirxo

I would get the NGEco, the price is a lot better than the NG without loosing anything vital really. The type-s battery compartment is a bit of a pita to access which rules it out.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

thanks I orderd the NGeco. Is the option to get Left - Right reading a waste of the money?

zirxo

by zirxo

Yes, it's a waste of money.
Both because it can't measure true left - right power and because there's no verified application of it in real life.

TonyM

by TonyM

+1

Rick

by Rick

zirxo wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 pm
Yes, it's a waste of money.
Both because it can't measure true left - right power and because there's no verified application of it in real life.
I would be a bit less harsh in my criticism. Even though it is not true Left-Right power it will reveal if there is some sort of imbalance. And rather than "waste" of money" I would call it "of questionable value". But those are all just opinions. I don't think I would bother with it personally, but on the other hand, revealing a serious imbalance might be nice to know about.

commendatore

by commendatore

I have a type S which reports pedal balance. Initially I checked it after a few rides and found that I was always within 1-2% of 50-50. Haven’t looked at it since.

c60rider

by c60rider

It's not true left or right pedal balance. It just measures the power produced from the 12 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position and takes that as the left/right balance. So you will only really know which 12-6 position produces the most power (if there is an imbalance) but no way of knowing how much of that is the left pushing down or the right pulling up and vice versa. And if there is a difference what do you do with it? Which leg isn't pushing down or pulling through enough? Only separate power meters on each side will give you that and even then what do you do with that if there's a subtle difference? If you've had a major injury then it might be useful and perhaps if you've never had the information available just to use it once out of curiosity might highlight if things are about equal or if there's a major difference. If you really want to work on one leg and monitor power then do some single leg reps!

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Thanks, so the left/right option is not worth to upgrade the ngeco

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com