[Project] Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 under 7kg

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

henriksson

by henriksson

So I was looking for a frame but Canyon pricing is a bit off here and I ended up getting the low end Ultimate 8.0 for €2400. I'll try to sell off the parts which I'll be replacing in this project, buying the frame itself was €1800 so the difference should not be much of an issue to reclaim. The only non-weight weenie choice of this build will be the disc brakes, this is going to be a climbing bike and what comes up must come down...

The bike (without pedals, as assembled by the factory) is claimed at 7,5kg and came in 70g heavier at 7570g.
IMG_0946.jpg
With XTR pedals (I'm a MTBer and still need to get used to the road pedals) it went up to 7790g. This is my starting weight which from I need to shave off 790g.
IMG_0948.jpg
Now, what is the cheapest way to get rid of weight? Yes, €20 of new tubes.
IMG_0955.jpg
New weight is 7740g, not bad for so little €€€ and moves me 6% towards my weight goal.
IMG_0969.jpg
Next step will hopefully take me much closer. Here is a sneak peak of whats coming.
IMG_0971.jpg
Stay tuned...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoon

by shoon

I had a M sized Ultimate CF SL 2017 weighing 7.5kg with heavy bottle cage (topeak iglow cage), heavy pedal (shimano R550) and heavy crankset (~950g quarq dzero aluminium with absoluteblack oval chainrings).
Other components are sram red mechanical but brakeset is sram force, Reynolds aero 46 and 58 wheelset, normal heavy cable housing.
So getting to 7kg is definitely possible. U get those light alligator cable housings too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Subscribed, keep the updates coming. That said, I think almost any CF disc road frame can be taken into sub 6kg, it all depends on how much and where you are willing to compromise.

Delorre

by Delorre

Take a look at my Endurace. Was around 6.8 kg ;-)

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Five days later, maybe pics of the complete build ? ;)

henriksson

by henriksson

Groupset swap still in progress - internal cable routing and stiff hydralic brake lines is a really painful combination.

In the meanwhile, compare the weight difference between the SRAM Red crank and the Ultegra anchor - 110gr!
IMG_1038.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg
Anyone dare to guess the total weight after changing the groupset?

henriksson

by henriksson

TL;DR: Swapping Ultegra disc to Red 22 Disc saves 360g.

Here is final dry weight (add 80g for missing handlebar tape).
IMG_1051.jpg
6970g. Goal almost achieved! Adding the necessities we get to
IMG_1067.jpg
7380g which is a respectable 360g improvement over the 7740g ultegra weight. I managed to get 700 euro for the Ultegra groupset leaving me at a 500 euro upgrade cost. I think that is repectable given that it also allowed me to customize chainrings and cassette in the process.

Next thing is obviously to swap out those heavy PR 1600 wheels I have but I'll need to save up for that, given the pricing of higher end wheels. Going to tubeless doesn't really seem like a win weight-wise.

Apart from cables (thanks for the tip on aligator housings), what are the obvious places where I could save even more weight?

slake21

by slake21

henriksson wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Apart from cables (thanks for the tip on aligator housings), what are the obvious places where I could save even more weight?
KMC SL chain maybe? and you could look into handlebars, stem, seatpost, saddle, tires... but the new wheels will count the most

pmprego

by pmprego

Saddle, that's a no brainer. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com