Molten Speedwax

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I just used Molten Speedwax on my track bike. I like it enough that I'd like to try it on my road bike.

I plan to use a new chain, so the initial cleaning and waxing isn't a problem. For people who use this, I was wondering what people do to re-wax. The obvous is to use a master link. My other idea is to leave the chain on the bike, and dip half the chain at a time.

Any comments?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

You abslutely should use a masterlink to remove the chain for rewaxing. It will make your life vastly easier and you'll get better wax penetration into all the links. And it's much easier to break the links free of freshly cooled wax when off the bike. I couldn't imagine a successful way of rewaxing while the chain remains on the bike.

kode54

by kode54

i remove the chain and put it in the crock pot with the master links. half hour plus stirring. done. hang and reinstall on bike.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Digger90

by Digger90

I've just done mine in Molten Speedwax for the very first time.

Will ride it tomorrow and report back.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

You can do Your own "molten speed wax" use parafin, parafin oil (to make wax more plastic), teflon and MoS2. Of course in proper proportion.
To whom which want to wax chain on the bike You can use as above with xylene solvent.after putting bottle with wax in hot water - can use to wax chain on bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Omit the paraffin oil / kerosene imo. The only time this matters at all is when you let a freshly waxed chain cool and it's stiff without the kerosene. Bending the links over a broom handle or dowel takes care of that.

As far as specifics for rewaxing. I just wipe the chain down thoroughly and throw it in a large crockpot with a "filter" made out of expanded aluminum sheet at the bottom. This way any debris that comes off the chain falls through the holes and settles at the bottom.

MSW instructions say not to wipe the chain down after pulling it out, but I find that leaves too much wax on the exterior surface, leading to an excessive amount of wax bits being flung onto my chainstay, BB area, socks, etc. After unfurling the chain from the swisher tool and letting it hang for half a minute, I wipe the excess off with an old microfiber cloth.

Also the Connex link is your friend.

ipaul

by ipaul

I started using the Molten wax on my trainer bike using their techniques. Figure it would keep my floor and rug cleaner. Other than the amount of flakes that come off it’s been pretty good. I use a quick link but always fight getting it back on no matter how much I scrape the wax off. Is it really that important to wax it?
:P

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ipaul wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 am
I started using the Molten wax on my trainer bike using their techniques. Figure it would keep my floor and rug cleaner. Other than the amount of flakes that come off it’s been pretty good. I use a quick link but always fight getting it back on no matter how much I scrape the wax off. Is it really that important to wax it?
Use a trainer mat. I don't recommend waxed-chains for indoor training just because of the wax flakes. You're better off using a dry lube like RnR Gold or Dumonde Tech Pro X Lite and wiping it down thoroughly.

And yeah, getting quicklinks back on is a bit of an exercise sometimes. You could just not wax the links and then put one drop of Squirt or Smoove on each roller instead.

Digger90

by Digger90

So.. 2 rides in and first impressions are........ Great!

Chain was a little noisy for the first mile or so after having installed it. It them quietened down as the links freed up (I didn't bother too much breaking the wax tension straight after waxing), and I must say, it rides great.

110kms on it in 2 rides, with today's ride finishing on a damp dirt road climb, and the drivetrain is lovely and clean.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just pass the chain over a small radius like a wooden dowel to loosen up the links. It takes no time and will prevent weird chain skips in that first mile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com