best route plotting for Garmin ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mrseasons

by Mrseasons

Hey ,

What does everyone use for planning a route on their ride? ive got a garmin edge 1000 but cant find a reasonable quick and easy to use route planner. Something I can quickly plan out a route online then download to the garmin

Any suggestions welcomed.

thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Garmin Connect works.
Or Ride With GPS (RWGPS).
With any of these things there will be some learning curve involved depending on your experience. I’ve gone through years of growing pains with garmin, where the maps in the unit didn’t match the maps you’re routing with etc, along with numerous bugs.
But I have to say, it’s not bad now.
The reality seems to be is that it seems for a lot of people who buy these units, they end up doing nothing more than a $20 simple bike computer will do because they never take the time to actually learn its capabilities.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu May 24, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dfischer1

by dfischer1

Strava Route Maker has the benefit of the Heat Map overlay if you want to use roads favored by cyclists, but their .tcx export doesn't have turn-by-turn like RWGPS. Just a breadcrumb. Not a big deal for me, so I still use it.

wingguy

by wingguy

Garmin Connect has popularity routing overlay as well - which given how many people upload to Strava through GC should be about the same.

The thing about GC though is (unless I'm missing something) that the App version only lets you suggest a distance and direction and GC creates a loop for you based on popularity. Only the browser version gives you control to create the route you want. So if you're already out on the bike and decide you want to get from where you are to somewhere else, it's useless.

Boshk

by Boshk

I usually download tcx files from Strava onto my Garmin connect on my PC.
You can just Google Strava & city for a list of routes, if u like it, download the TCX file, I believe this is the 'better' file since it gives u turn by turn on your garmin.

The only thing is, once in GC, you can't actually adjust mid-ride points,at least I haven't figured out how yet.

dastott

by dastott

I have tried to use Ride With GPS a few times but can never get the hang of it. Garmin Connect and Strava both seem much easier to use, and have the heat map. The heat map seems better in Strava though, at least around here. Garmin Connect uses Google Maps which are generally better than OSM used by Strava.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Both strava and komoot are highly recommended!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

havana

by havana

Gpsies!
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

gmarsden

by gmarsden

plotaroute.com

Eleven21

by Eleven21

The free version of Ridewithgps is very good

kode54

by kode54

i've been using RWGPS for years...and gradually learned the ropes on it. i'm use to it now and have no issues with it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Machoman

by Machoman

kode54 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:00 pm
i've been using RWGPS for years...and gradually learned the ropes on it. i'm use to it now and have no issues with it.
Ridewithgps for me too - but lately i think they have been decreasing the functions to push users to go premiums. One can't delete points anymore - at least i can't find a way to delete them easily.

I don't mind paying but i think it's very pricey for the number of times that I would use it.

kode54

by kode54

yes and no...although at this point, I'm not sure about the FREE version as I am accustomed to the button layout of the premium version. I'm sure RWGPS would rather have you migrate to the premium, but as far as ease of use...I like RWGPS including the various export files including .fit files.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Kabu

by Kabu

+1 for komoot
started using it last summer. Easy, quick, good turn by turn routes to garmin. Nice route planning on PC, Adroid app not quite as good.
My only gripe is really that while on the road, re-planning a route requires stopping the activity on garmin and then starting it again after the route changed(, but that's more a problem in garmin, not komoot).

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I use Strava but I think that you need to be a premium member for the route planner. And you can load turn by turn from them just pay attention to the file that you export. (I always get confused which one I need lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com