Soldering a new charging lead onto an EPS battery?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LaaLaa

by LaaLaa

Like many other EPS users I managed to mangle the male pins on the charger for my EPS (v2) internal battery. That's ok - done it before - I've had to replace the charger a few times because of this issue.
However, this time I also seem to have mangled the charging port itself - the one that's mounted in my bike frame and the lead runs back into the battery. The female sockets are all torn up from trying to shove broken pins into it.... (cue new, stronger glasses...)
As far as I can tell replacing the battery is my only option to fix this but it was cost $$$$ and I can't bring myself to do it just to get a new charging port.
There is an extension lead available that has the charging port on one end, and the male charger pins on the other end - I believe this is to extend the original charging cable that comes out of the battery. My question is: can I cut the mangled port off the orginal cable and solder the port on from the extension lead? Has anyone done this before?
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

It's possible. It's V2 so you're likely out of warranty. There is a small catch. That connector is connected directly to the battery effectively. If you cut it you need to exercise extreme caution because if you just cut through it you're short the positive and negative on your metal cutter. This isn't good. Shorting a powerful lithium battery can be a recipe for dissaster. Your own your own for liability there, but suggestion is carefully remove outter jacket, and cut and tape each of the 4 wires seperately. Don't just cut straight through that cable unless you want a potential fire.

However, if you're very cautious, careful, and experienced with soldering it'd be fine. Of course officially no company will recommend this, but yes, it's just a connector.

I use said extension between my charger and V3 as an insurance measure for bent pins, cables been extended so charger can sit on the floor. Not the same since it was done seperately and no live battery involved. I've worked on soldering live lithium batteries. Even small ones have got my heart pounding (<100mah) for spark and smoke in accidental shorts when assemblying prototype electronics.

LaaLaa

by LaaLaa

kwakekeham wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 am
It's possible. It's V2 so you're likely out of warranty. There is a small catch. That connector is connected directly to the battery effectively. If you cut it you need to exercise extreme caution because if you just cut through it you're short the positive and negative on your metal cutter. This isn't good. Shorting a powerful lithium battery can be a recipe for dissaster. Your own your own for liability there, but suggestion is carefully remove outter jacket, and cut and tape each of the 4 wires seperately. Don't just cut straight through that cable unless you want a potential fire.

However, if you're very cautious, careful, and experienced with soldering it'd be fine. Of course officially no company will recommend this, but yes, it's just a connector.

I use said extension between my charger and V3 as an insurance measure for bent pins, cables been extended so charger can sit on the floor. Not the same since it was done seperately and no live battery involved. I've worked on soldering live lithium batteries. Even small ones have got my heart pounding (<100mah) for spark and smoke in accidental shorts when assemblying prototype electronics.

Thank you Kwakekeham, I'll get someone experienced to do the soldering....appreciate your advice, it's very helpful.