Specialized Future Shock: Worthwhile or Gimmick?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Now that the Specialized Future Shock as found on the new Roubaix and Diverge has been out for a year, what are your thoughts? It struck me as a gimmick but perhaps I'm overly skeptical. Do you have a bike with Future Shock, and if so, what do you think of it?

by Weenie

johnsonmoog

by johnsonmoog

I bought a Roubaix after a fairly brief test not long after they were released, liked it a lot so purchased and I still think it's a very comfortable bike. It was between the Roubaix and a Domane, which was also very good. I decided on newer tech. It's an endurance bike you can take on bad surfaces and feel able to carry speed and not get fatigued, bit of a do it all steed.

Obvious answer I guess is find one to test and see what you think. Good luck

NS

by NS

I just sold my diverge to get an exploro. If i was even considering a bike with future shock I would wait to see if the lockout came out. I didnt like the feel of the front end on the road and to be honest I think for a gravel bike correct tyre volume and pressure is more important than the futureshock.

Wheever

by Wheever

If you find another bike you like, but are stuck on the idea of having a future shock, let me recommend the redshift shock stop stem. Similar concept, but simpler and beautifully executed. You could buy whichever bike and put a shock stop on.

NJCyclist

by NJCyclist

I rented a 2017 Roubaix for some riding around Northern California including a ride up Mount Diablo. I thought the future shock was great and provided not only comfort, but increased stability on the rough descent from Diablo down North Gate. I've previously done this descent with a SuperSix (which I think is a great bike), and the pothole and patch-ridden surface upset the SuperSix during braking and cornering. The Roubaix was significantly more stable as the future shock acted as a suspension and absorbed the impacts. Between that and the disc brakes, it was probably the best descending bike I've ever ridden (and I've ridden quite a few). Othewise, it took me very little time to get used to the subtle movement of the bars during general riding and I quickly forgot the future shock was there.

In terms of negatives, I do find it aesthetically lacking - it looks like a giraffe in a turtleneck, and I'm sure it adds 120-150 grams of weight (I wouldn't care, but this is WW). Also I suppose if you're doing standing sprints it's not ideal, but it really didn't bother me when I did a few or when I attacked the final "wall" at the top of Diablo.