CAAD12 Disc Build Ideas

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roel W

by Roel W

As stated earlier: chosse a frame with through axle hubs and flat mount discs. Post mount and quick release (in combination with disc brakes) are outdated and inferior. There are a lot of alloy framsets on the market with through axle and flat mount.
Don't know about the latest iteration CAAD12 but earlier versions had post mountbrakes and quick release hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AxelBrawn

by AxelBrawn

Thanks for the update Raymond. I bought an ultegra disc CAAD12 on Sat. Picking up Wednesday. Similar colours to yours. I'll post when received. Send me the video when you can. Which wheels did you choose?

Also, seat post upgrade options? Seem to be limited in the 25.4 market?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RaymondC

by RaymondC

AxelBrawn wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:32 pm
Thanks for the update Raymond. I bought an ultegra disc CAAD12 on Sat. Picking up Wednesday. Similar colours to yours. I'll post when received. Send me the video when you can. Which wheels did you choose?

Also, seat post upgrade options? Seem to be limited in the 25.4 market?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82552336@ ... ed-public/

Awesome enjoy the build, I'm running standard Dale carbon posted chopped off with 10cm in the frame (50 gram saving) try pick up a SAVE post if you can. The wheels are American Classics. I'm struggling to get Zipp 303 NSW disk here in South Africa but will hold back until the System Six launchs.

tomee

by tomee

i just changed my seatpost to a Hylix on my caad12 disc.
came 170g from factory. i chopped it down about 15cm and sits at 145g

managed to get the total bike weight down to 7.5kg
size 52 full di2 with 9170 shifters.
dont think you would save much weight going from post to direct mount calipers. Ive weighed both 785 and 805 calipers which are both around 111g
you would lose more weight going XTR calipers but then you'd have to run banjo connectors.
my wheelset are 24mm carbon rims with cx-ray spokes and WI hubs and come in at just a touch over 1300g

RaymondC

by RaymondC

Update my 54cm Caad 12 is on 7.15 kg.

Swapped out the standard tubes for tubelito's and the Pirelli's for Kenda Valkyrie's 200 gram saving.

Front Skewer swapped out the standard OEM on for the same axle that is used on the CX bikes. 30g saving.
https://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Canno ... _6094.html

Light weight Cork bartape vs OEM "Rubber lizard skin style" 35g saving.

Machined out a top cap from a HIMOD Super Six to fit the Caad12 20g saving.

I'm at the point now where the bike is handling and behaving like a Super Six.

OB1knb

by OB1knb

Very impressive build!
I am trying to shed some weight from my stock 2019 caad12 too.
As part of the exercise I have been trying to replace the stock FSA SI with the kp017 expander plug I had on my non-disc caad12. Unfortunately the steerer tube diameter is just a fraction smaller than the non-disc caad12 I had...
Does anybody know if the new SL Compression Plug With Top Cap K35009 would fit?
Thanks

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi OB1knb,

Yep, it was made for that fork.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

ilikegreen

by ilikegreen

I'm interested in buying and upgrading a CAAD12 disc also.

Biggest concern is with the BB30a as I want to use the Cannondale Hollowgram (for the spiderings) crankset which eliminates several of the threaded BB manufacturers who seem only to do conversion sizes for other crank brands such as Shimano, SRAM, etc (Wheels Mfg and Kogel).

The BBInfinite would work for a rim brake but is stated by them to definitely not work with the CAAD12 disc due to the hydraulic lines running through the BB to the chain stay.

So far as I've been able to find the C-Bear unit is the only remaining option. I've contacted them and they've replied that it "should work" because the "the middle part can be removed from the cups and the cups as such can be pressed into the frame separately".

Kinda sounds like they're suggesting removing the threaded sleeve that ensures bearing alignment, leaving me to overcome press-fit bearing issues by using their press-fit cups and bearings.

Any brand that has a disc-compatable, screw-together BB for 30mm Cannondale cranks that I haven't listed above? Is C-Bears suggestion tried and tested? Do I try and get my frame BB measured with laser precision and have the tolerances perfected somehow?

I'm looking to spend some time on the frame (stripping/polishing/painting/custom decals) so am invested in getting this right first-up. I have read from plenty of people who state that installation is the key to no creaks, but I'm keen to have a sure-fire plan for insurance.

Cheers!

OB1knb

by OB1knb

DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:29 am
Hi OB1knb,

Yep, it was made for that fork.

Cheers,
Damon
Thanks Damon!! :thumbup:

OB1knb

by OB1knb

another silly idea to shed weight...
I have tried swapping the Fulcrum QR 135mm with a mtb Zoom titanium one,only to find out the steel axle has a 5mm diameter whether the titanium is only 4.5mm.
I am assuming I cannot use the lighter QR skewers given the large difference-is this true?
thanks

OB1knb

by OB1knb

ilikegreen wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:57 am
I'm interested in buying and upgrading a CAAD12 disc also.

Biggest concern is with the BB30a as I want to use the Cannondale Hollowgram (for the spiderings) crankset which eliminates several of the threaded BB manufacturers who seem only to do conversion sizes for other crank brands such as Shimano, SRAM, etc (Wheels Mfg and Kogel).

The BBInfinite would work for a rim brake but is stated by them to definitely not work with the CAAD12 disc due to the hydraulic lines running through the BB to the chain stay.

So far as I've been able to find the C-Bear unit is the only remaining option. I've contacted them and they've replied that it "should work" because the "the middle part can be removed from the cups and the cups as such can be pressed into the frame separately".

Kinda sounds like they're suggesting removing the threaded sleeve that ensures bearing alignment, leaving me to overcome press-fit bearing issues by using their press-fit cups and bearings.

Any brand that has a disc-compatable, screw-together BB for 30mm Cannondale cranks that I haven't listed above? Is C-Bears suggestion tried and tested? Do I try and get my frame BB measured with laser precision and have the tolerances perfected somehow?

I'm looking to spend some time on the frame (stripping/polishing/painting/custom decals) so am invested in getting this right first-up. I have read from plenty of people who state that installation is the key to no creaks, but I'm keen to have a sure-fire plan for insurance.

Cheers!
Hi,

I have fitted the Cbear bb30a (Shimano) bottom bracket to my ccad12 disc without the sleeve as suggested by CBear.
It worked a treat and no issues whatsoever with alignment; just insert one cup at the time.
Hope this helps.
OB1