Convert record eps rim to disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zoeyzidane

by Zoeyzidane

Apologies in advance if this has been previously asked. I searched but couldn’t find anything.

I have a record eps v3 rim brake groupset which I bought in mid 2016 with neutrons wheels.

I know I will need hydro shifters, calipers, rotors and possibly a new crank.

What else do I need to convert these to the eps disc?

Trying to work out whether to go disc on new bike or keep it as rim.

Thanks, Mick

joejack951

by joejack951

Are you will to use mechanical disc calipers? TRP HY/RD or Juintech R1 are both options that would save you from having to buy new levers and offer near hydro brake feel. Crank should be fine. I am using a 2016 Chorus crank on a disc frame with 410mm chainstays and don’t have any chainline issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoeyzidane

by Zoeyzidane

joejack951 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 pm
Are you will to use mechanical disc calipers? TRP HY/RD or Juintech R1 are both options that would save you from having to buy new levers and offer near hydro brake feel. Crank should be fine. I am using a 2016 Chorus crank on a disc frame with 410mm chainstays and don’t have any chainline issues.
I didn’t know I could use mechanical disc. I thought it was hydraulic.

joejack951

by joejack951

Zoeyzidane wrote:I didn’t know I could use mechanical disc. I thought it was hydraulic.
Campy’s disc groups are all hydraulic. But that doesn’t prevent you from using a set of regular levers with mechanical disc brake calipers. The benefit of the two calipers I mentioned is that they are mechanically actuated but have hydraulic internals. This greatly improves brake feel in my experience and the pads auto-adjust as they wear vs. manual tweaking with a full mechanical caliper.

Zoeyzidane

by Zoeyzidane

Thanks. I am still considering options and it will come down to cost.

Do I need to get new wheels or can I fit the rotors onto the current wheels via a new hub?

joejack951

by joejack951

I am not certain but I believe your wheels use fairly proprietary hubs so the chances of finding a disc-compatible replacement are quite slim. Someone else may know more.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Hubs are pretty expensive to replace anyways. Basically the only thing you keep is an old used rim. I wonder how essential a new crank is too. It will surely give better chainline, but it's not like road chainsets haven't been used with 135mm spaced rears berfore.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

ooo

by ooo

front disc brake (Juintech R1), rear rim brake
saves a lot of $$ and also weight
'

Miller

by Miller

ooo wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:04 am
front disc brake (Juintech R1), rear rim brake
saves a lot of $$ and also weight
Yebbut it'll look crap.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The juin tech options offer NEAR hydro feel. If you are going to take the plunge, get full hydro. The h11 cracks aren’t needed, but give an optimized chainline for hydro as everything on the back moves a bit more to the right.
You would indeed need a disc specific frame and wheels as well.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

Yup. It’d be a lot easier to just keep what you have and get discs on your next bike since you’ll be replacing most of the bike anyway.

Once you’ve replaced the frame it isn’t really upgrading a bike.

I suppose you could have a mechanical disc front and rim rear if you replaced the fork but kept the same frame. The front brake is more important anyway so could work well