MCFK vs Extralite (again!) for "flat top" bars - and deformed bars on clamp area?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Hiya,

about to get a stem for my new bike, and I need a little advice...

Bars are AX Lightness 4200 Ergo. They are slightly flattened on the tops - and I am not sure if this could turn out into a mounting issue. Since I will be ordering either stem from abroad, it would be easiest not to have to return it...

I currently have the AXs mounted on an S Works 110 mm stem, it has however got me slightly puzzled, as when I tighten down the faceplate bolts (no more than 3.7 Nm), the bars seem to deform at the center? I cannot feel it, but when I tried to install my K-edge garmin mount (which doesn't fit anyway due to spacing, btw), the clamp would fit with the mount pointing to the "sky", but would not close with the mount facing forward... I backed off the bolts a bit and that helped a little... so... um? Or could it be deformation from the factory? The clamp part on the bars (I changed stems) has no visible markings, cracks etc... Of course, I could try the K edge without any stem, but I haven't got that far yet :)

Since the S works stem clamps as above, I am worried that due to the design of the Extralite, it could not be better, only perhaps worse (split leftside and rightside clamp, Specialized has a single "large" clamp)...

On the other hand with the MCFK, I am worried if it will fit... and if it does, I do have a few flat top bars I like, and it would be limiting from that perspective...

So, all in all:
1) Is the Extralite gentle enough on carbon bars and does it hold them firmly enough as to not slip? If so, we have a winner...
2) If not... and if the MCFK does not fit... where do I turn? Help!

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I’m using Ritchley streem2 aero bars with Mcfk stem.. little trickery and it goes on.. he’ll ritchleys own stem was a tough fit but able to do it. TACX carbon paste helps because it starts out slick

What’s you location? Maybe someone can help as well. If you in the east Bay Area let me know
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mike001100

by mike001100

Great, thank you! I was looking at the Streems and I was puzzled as to how they make them work with the C260 stems...

I am in Europe, but thank you for offering assistance :)

Any other input?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Yes with either stem you can’t go directly in.. with the c260 I was able to angle it upside down from the way a wanted it then rotate it on the center once I got it on from the rear part of the bar. The mcfk I angled it in from the front part of the curve.

They both fit the streem2 carbon bar
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package