Question installing THM Clavicula SE cranks to Specialized Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coresare

by coresare

Hi. I was going to install a THM Clavicula SE crank to a friend's 2018 Specialized Tarmac. His bike BB is a BB30 with the bearings slipping straight into the BB with retainer clips and no cups. 68mm wide.

I have already installed these cranks onto my bike which is 86.5 mm wide, but wouldn't I need something like a 17.5 mm spacer on his non drive side to take up the slack? The THM cranks only provide a 2 mm spacer that goes on the drive side and a 1 mm that goes on the non drive side for 86.5 mm shells. No other spacers are included.

Is the FSA BB386 TO PF30/BB30 ADAPTER what I need?

Thanks in advance!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Buy the THM BB30 BB. There will be aluminium cups that screw into the BB shell that widen the BB to the correct width. Use that along with the THM spacer if stipulated in the manual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coresare

by coresare

4ibanez wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:27 pm
Buy the THM BB30 BB. There will be aluminium cups that screw into the BB shell that widen the BB to the correct width. Use that along with the THM spacer if stipulated in the manual.
https://us.thm.bike/en/accessories/bb30 ... ad-30.html

Is that the what you are referring to?

coresare

by coresare

coresare wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:57 pm
4ibanez wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:27 pm
https://us.thm.bike/en/accessories/bb30 ... ad-30.html

Is that the what you are referring to? I'm assuming the outer diameter of the inside of that bottom bracket is exactly 42mm to be able to slide into the bike's "BB"?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I can't confirm the dimensions 100% but it's specifically for BB30, so should be fine. I'll say just in case it's an S-Works, but those have a different BB standard I think (OSBB).

coresare

by coresare

4ibanez wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 pm
I can't confirm the dimensions 100% but it's specifically for BB30, so should be fine. I'll say just in case it's an S-Works, but those have a different BB standard I think (OSBB).
Hi yes it's a 2018 S works tarmac. Ill double check the dimensions tonight when he brings the bike over.

It sucks to have to place another bottom bracket into another "bottom bracket".

2old4this

by 2old4this

No, you don't put one into another. You'll take the existing bearings (or whatever the bottom bracket you have there now) out and put the thm BB in. For Road BB30, you don't need to put any other spacers if my memory serves me right (I.e. Check the manual. :-))

Also, you may want a o check c-bear BBs. They are the only one I found specifically saying "for thm clavicula" and they are very smooth... :smartass:

coresare

by coresare

Ok got his frame.. its a BB30. 68mm wide. 42mm inner diameter. Bearings press directly into the bonded in inserts (what i was referring to as "bottom bracket".

I will check out C bear. Do you know if c bear threads into each other? The thm does which I would prefer.

Thanks

2old4this

by 2old4this

I only bought a t47 BB from c-bear, and yes, both sides are treated to each other. Don't know about the bb30, for sure.
Drop them an email. They are responsive....

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

A quick google says that a 2018 S-Works has an OSBB. Therefore I reckon you'll need to track down the correct bottom bracket cups, i.e. specifically OSBB that works with an 86.5/87mm spindle - I don't think a normal THM PF30 will fit the shell. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere that has the THM OSBB. I'd suggest you get in touch with THM to confirm all this.

coresare

by coresare

4ibanez wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 pm
A quick google says that a 2018 S-Works has an OSBB. Therefore I reckon you'll need to track down the correct bottom bracket cups, i.e. specifically OSBB that works with an 86.5/87mm spindle - I don't think a normal THM PF30 will fit the shell. Unfortunately I can't seem to find anywhere that has the THM OSBB. I'd suggest you get in touch with THM to confirm all this.
Yah Specializez OSBB is pretty vague. It is definitely a bb30. 68mm wide. 42mm inner diameter. We ordered the thm BB30 mentioned above vs going the fsa spacer route so the bearings are further out for stress reduction.

2old4this

by 2old4this

4ibanez wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 pm
Yah Specializez OSBB is pretty vague. It is definitely a bb30. 68mm wide. 42mm inner diameter. We ordered the thm BB30 mentioned above vs going the fsa spacer route so the bearings are further out for stress reduction.
That is BB30.

The bike previous to the last one I built has a 386EVO, and the cups that I've ordered from THM felt very very cheap (simple press-in cups.) So for the last one I built, I've used C-Bear BB. Their construction feels much more solid (and the cranks spin much longer...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I am interested in this topic too.

It seems the Tarmac BB width went from 61mm to 68mm between the SL5 and SL6.

I like the idea of THM CLavicula, but not the idea of having to buy an 'extra BB'. This lessens the weight savings somewhat. I like the Sworks crank system that is nice and narrow, nothing outside the frame. BUT Spesh don't make Sworks cranks anymore, unless in power meter........