Bike suggestions - light, aero, disc, more relaxed than an Aeroad?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Doing the groundwork for a new frame, something that feels 'nicer' to climb on and feels less stretched out than an Aeroad. Rider is around 165cm and she currently rides a 2XS Aeroad that's got a 70cm stem and ergo bars with reduced reach on. She likes this bike, but given the choice now would go for something slightly more relaxed.

She really likes the new R5 disc, but if I'm reading this right, then it's not actually more relaxed in its smallest frame size. If a swap is going to happen, it needs to be something pretty awesome like an R5 disc or S Works disc. Something that's actually quite aero too and looks the part. Anything on the market that fits the bill besides another Canyon?

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/cany ... c-2018-49/

TonyM

by TonyM

In 47cm and adequate stem, for example in “pretty awesome” as you want:

- Pinarello Dogma (disk)
- BMC Teammachine SLR01 (disc)
- Colnago C64 (disc)
- Bianchi xr4

Or less “awesome” but with a woman specific geometry, look at the Liv bikes..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Rose X-lite Six 50cm: 373mm reach but 520mm stack. If Tour Mag. didn't switch numbers, it's as aero as the Aeroad... Pretty awesome? :noidea:

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Cervelo S3 Disc come to my mind for Aero but not too aggressive Geometry.
Price is well below S5 but not sure about the weight.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

If she already uses a 70mm stem for a 363mm reach bike, I'd suggest avoiding any frame with longer reach...

romanmoser

by romanmoser

She would be better of 650 wheels
Or 650b if disc brakes ...

TonyM

by TonyM

romanmoser wrote:She would be better of 650 wheels
Or 650b if disc brakes ...
In that size Canyon and Liv.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Relaxed and aero is in my mind inherently contradictory.

Lower your head 1cm and you save more watts than most marginal gains on your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have dealth with fitting a small rider (my wife 160 cm) on an ongoing basis over many years and many bikes. Fortunately for you 165 cm is just outside of the impossible to fit category. You don't need 650 anything. However, given that she is feeling "too stretched out" (bent over?) on a bike with 363 reach, a 70 mm stem, and short reach bars tells me that there is a problem. And I believe that problem is stack. (You didn't indicate if there was a tower of spacers.) Keep in mind also that the longer the legs and the shorter the arms, the greater the challenge of fitting the small female cyclist becomes.

You can't get a proper bike with much less then a 360 reach. That just leaves taller stack as your only option to increase her comfort. If this rider has average female proportions, and is not comfortable in a full on aggressive fit (is she racing a lot?), IMO you need to totally re-think your approach. Aero is irrelavant, only the optimum geometry is important and you have very few options. If you want to avoid a crazy spacer tower the best options are endurance bikes, and even then some spacers may improve comfort further. I know it's not what you want to hear, but the fit will be better and the rider will be happier. Look for reach as close to 360 as possible and stack of around 525. If she wants to stretch out you could switch the stem to a massive 80 or even 90 mm.

The whole issue of comfort for women on bikes goes beyond just body dimensions matching the bike geometry. A women may not be able to tolerate a bike fit that a man with identical body proportions finds to be perfect. The different distribution of mass and muscle in the body can have a big impact on what similarely sized individuals of different genders will find comfortable.

This explains a bit: http://www.womenscycling.ca/blog/george ... rent-mens/
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.