Need recommendations for top end sprinter bike to replace Madone 9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

I have had it with my Madone 9* and I need some recommendations for a replacement.

Profile: I'm a 78kg puncheur with big sprint watts. I'm at my best with lots of short climbs (ideal 10m per km) and tight crit-style curves. I ride most of the time with the rear brake quick release open since I rub the pads like crazy, and even rub 25mm tires on frame due to wheel distortion. Rear spokes ping like a harp.

Bike Priorities:

- Stiff, stiff, stiff (did I mention stiff)? Did the 2018 Tour aero bike test include stiffness? I am not sensitive to ride quality
- No proprietary handlebars (I prefer the super flared Enve Aero Road)
- Di2, not eTap
- At least "medium aero", e.g. F10-level of aero is fine
- While not absolutely necessary, 30mm crank spindle compatibility would be nice
- I don't need disc brakes but I'm toying with the notion that they would eliminate pad rub
- Available in USA with reasonable service network (e.g. not Look)
- Price is not much of a concern

thanks!

* Why am I fed up with the Madone 9? Three problems: 1) Proprietary handlebars with no flare at all, and my specialty is uphill sprints, so I keep bruising my forearms sprinting in the drops. I swapped out the bars for 40cm but that didn't help much. 2) Proprietary seat clamp and I've worn out my Bontrager Paradigm which they don't make anymore. I never liked it very much but at least it was the closest Bontrager came to a Toupe. I want to run my damn Toupe saddle without wrapping crap around the rails to fit in 7x10. And finally, 3) It may be aero but I don't like the handling as much as my previous Madone 7. A big reason I went with the 9 is because the H1 was still made in USA, and I gather that isn't the case anymore, so it's a level playing field now among Taiwanese-made bikes.

Also it's a PITA to service, and the rear brake in the traditional position rubs more for me than it did on the Madone 7 under the BB.

TonyM

by TonyM

Spec. Venge (disc)?
Stiff, fast, etc...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Yeah Venge Disc sounds pretty ideal. I also found my S5 stiff where it counts, though I wouldn't suggesting buying one until the latest version is announced.

gzon

by gzon

Orbea Orca Aero, super stiff, aero, non integrated handlebar/brakes, availble in the US.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Felt AR1 + whatever handlebars and wheels.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Sagan won sprints on Cannondale and Specialized
Cavendish won on Specialized and Cervelo
Kittel won on Giant and Specialized

I'm sure you can find top sprinters that ride all the other major brands.

Find one that fits you best and that's the one that's best for you.

guyc

by guyc

Get some wheels built for you

jlok

by jlok

oldnslow2 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 3:30 am
Sagan won sprints on Cannondale and Specialized
Cavendish won on Specialized and Cervelo
Kittel won on Giant and Specialized

I'm sure you can find top sprinters that ride all the other major brands.

Find one that fits you best and that's the one that's best for you.
I guess the top sprinters got special lay up instead of offtheshelf commercial samples. Plus, Sagan went even further and got his own frame moulds of SuperSix and Synapse...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

guyc

by guyc

Actually. If you need something this specific and price isn’t a concern why not look at custom?

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

jlok wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:55 am
Sagan went even further and got his own frame moulds of SuperSix and Synapse...
They are selling limited numbers of them.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

No they didn't

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

The new Giant Propel SL Disk is really, really, stiff. My Bianchi Oltre XR4 is exceptionally stiff, yet somehow, comfortable. Having said that, I just cracked my Vision integrated bar on the Oltre :x
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is your madone 9 an h2 or h1?

Aren't they different in stiffness?

/a

jlok

by jlok

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:17 am
The new Giant Propel SL Disk is really, really, stiff. My Bianchi Oltre XR4 is exceptionally stiff, yet somehow, comfortable. Having said that, I just cracked my Vision integrated bar on the Oltre :x
i just got the Propel SL Disc 1 and the seatpost seems to be the stiffest I've ever seen... at least it's much stiffer than my TCR SL Disc. The front end feels much more "compliant" relatively speaking :roll:
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Check out a Gaulzetti either the Aerotack (carbon) or Interclub (aluminum) and pair this with a set of handbuilt wheels (soldered spokes too).
http://gaulzetti.co/models

These are custom frames but at a reasonable price. Craig does awesome with the geometry and I'd be shocked if you could flex either of these, they'll work with you on the geometry to get it dialed. I love my Interclub, I won't go back to carbon after riding it. These can be setup with either rim or disc brakes.
Last edited by LittleSprinter on Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.