Trek Seat Mast Caps?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Has anyone ever produced a solution aside from Trek’s own?

I’m sure I saw Parts of Passion and New Ultimate Trek toppers in the past, but I can’t find anything now...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Never tried it myself, but couldn't we use Ritchey too? Their 30.25 one can fit Trek, diameter wise.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/seat- ... 8mm-offset

However I think many people would want something longer...

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Yeah, too short

Wheever

by Wheever

I hate the clamp on my mast cap. Worst clamp I've ever used.

I got it into my head to get something custom made with a 2-bolt clamp, even called some fabricators. Spoke to one guy who talked me out of having him fabricate something for me and instead gave me tips on how to do it myself! This was a couple years ago and I bought the materials but subsequently moved and never got around to it. But here's the plan:

Turns out that inside the topper the diameter steps down to 27.x mm, just right to fit a 27.2 seat post into. So I bought a used topper off ebay, and a decent but basic carbon 2-bolt seat post from nashbar on sale. The idea is to cut off the top of the topper, below the setback/clamp part, and then epoxy the seat post, cut down to an appropriate length, into the resulting 27.x hole. The carbon guy told me techniques to use to get a good bond, and said there was no reason he could think of that it wouldn't work.

I totally forgot about all this until this thread. I have all the parts, so maybe I'll do it this weekend.

If you guys want more info or clearer instructions, just let me know!