di2 rental bike experience!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Rented a Rapha Canyon Aeroad DA di2 bike in San Francisco last week, what a nice experience.

(The roads, you guys have it so good, cycle paths, shared cycle/motor vehicle lanes, and those roads going up to Panoramic Hwy then down to Muir Beach, Mill Valley....best 70km so far I've experienced.)

Anyway, the di2, its so smooth and flawless! This rental bike must have 1000s miles on it and it still just works. The RD is similar to my mechanical campy Chorus, I actually think my RD is marginally faster on the thumb button shifting down but the front is way behind for reliable shifting.

I know people will say I've setup my FD wrong, but to me, if I'm not focused, I can 'bad-shift' my FD but with di2, its always the same. Press the button softly-its shift, press hard-it shifts, load the pedals-it shifts, high cadence-it shifts. I can't say that about my Chorus mechanical FD. I assumed its the same with eps or eTap.

Not trying to start a flame, just an experience, maybe I'll start another if I get a chance to try mechanical DA or SRAM or EPS....

Broady

by Broady

Yeah Di2 is something else, mech DA is pretty amazing too to be fair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Electronic represented a shift in terms of performances. The deraileurs are program such that the front operates differently (overshift can depend on what cassette gear you're in), additional hand positions for shifting, data from the groupset, and other things produce a gap in capabilities that some people find important and some don't. I like it, some hate it.

The one thing that I've heard anecdotally from shops is that people inexperienced with maintenance will run their DI2 longer and longer than an equivalent mechanical between it seeing some care by the rider or a shop. It comes down to "it just works" mentality I think. I don't really know how true this is, and maybe not for the people who visit a forum like this.

Having just tried 12 speed mechanical road I'm impressed with how nice the top tier is but I miss my electro-dodads and forgot trim still exists because electronics sorts it out. Still looking to get it for a steel modern retro build, but I've been a convert on electronic even though I mocked it initially for "better go charge my bike".

kode54

by kode54

i think you were on a magic carpet ride...nice scenery, great roads, and excellent terrain. there are several areas / routes that you can take that is also quite nice...and hillier, depending on what you're looking for. but for me, I can't believe how nice the routes are around there after the Golden Gate bridge. gorgeous!

with that in mind, Di2 probably seemed more magical. i joined the Rapha CC just for the reason that I won't have to pack up my bike and pay high fees for only a few days. worth the price of the membership just to have the option of renting high quality bikes in big cities.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Good for you man! I'm assuming you rented from Rapha? Good roads out here. I work right around the corner. It's hard to settle for mechanical again once you've ridden electronic.

edit......oops. Didn't see you already mentioned Rapha.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Miller

by Miller

It's the same with EPS.

Stueys

by Stueys

What’s availability of bikes like with rcc? Can you normally get what you want?

And yes, once you’ve gone electronic it’s hard going back

rlanger

by rlanger

Yeah, the high-end mechanical systems all work extremely well.

But for me, the soft-touch big ring shifting (don't underestimate the power of big ring pinky shifting!), no need to trim, consistent shifting no matter the pedal load, holding down the button to run quickly run through the cassette block, the ability to customize the shifter buttons and control my Garmin, and finally, that beautiful sound of the front derailleur, all make Di2 such a pleasure to use.

Although mechanical does have its charms, I can't ever imagine going back.

Boshk

by Boshk

Stueys wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:34 pm
What’s availability of bikes like with rcc? Can you normally get what you want?

And yes, once you’ve gone electronic it’s hard going back
It depends how far in advance you book it. They have a selection ranging from XS to XL, usually Aeroad and Ultimate CF SLX. The ones in SFO I saw came with DA di2, some were DA mech WITH a Stages pm.....depends on the city you rent from.

I rented an Aeroad because it was the only one left in my size, comfortable enough, bit harsh over really badly paved roads but those were few and far in SFO area.
kode54 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 pm
i think you were on a magic carpet ride...nice scenery, great roads, and excellent terrain. there are several areas / routes that you can take that is also quite nice...and hillier, depending on what you're looking for. but for me, I can't believe how nice the routes are around there after the Golden Gate bridge. gorgeous!

with that in mind, Di2 probably seemed more magical. i joined the Rapha CC just for the reason that I won't have to pack up my bike and pay high fees for only a few days. worth the price of the membership just to have the option of renting high quality bikes in big cities.
Yea, I cant wait to go back and do 2 days of riding there....maybe Paradise Loop or further west to Stinson beach....
I know a ton of people have a 'dislike' for Rapha, but their customer service approach is top notch. Both the staff and customers were friendly too in the cafe, a group even ask me to join the next day after asking where I rode...but I couldn't join.
$25USD for a Rapha DA di2 rental bike compared to $35 at one of Fisherman Wharf's rental shops....I'm pretty sure it wasnt DA/SR spec
rlanger wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 pm
Yeah, the high-end mechanical systems all work extremely well.

But for me, the soft-touch big ring shifting (don't underestimate the power of big ring pinky shifting!), no need to trim, consistent shifting no matter the pedal load, holding down the button to run quickly run through the cassette block, the ability to customize the shifter buttons and control my Garmin, and finally, that beautiful sound of the front derailleur, all make Di2 such a pleasure to use.

Although mechanical does have its charms, I can't ever imagine going back.
I definitely see the advantages of mechanical, its pretty much guarantee never to fail....well I guess you could snap a cable or poor execution of shifting, other than that, I cant see anything that can go wrong.
Those who travel a lot, how do you travel with di2 anyway, do you disconnect the battery or the FD and RD? It would really suck if the baggage handler places a suitcase on your levers and its activated for 12hrs.
Last edited by Boshk on Sat May 19, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

How much does the rental cost?

yinya

by yinya

I rented from a different city, and I absolutely love the ability to rent a decent bike for not a lot and will stay a member only for this, but specifically the Di2 maintenance aspect I was not impressed with.

Ultimate came with DA Di2 and Aeroad with Ultegra Di2 - both were not trimming correct, not shifting and then shifting two cogs at a time somewhere in the cassette. Aeroad threw the chain from big ring to small in bigbig (I know I should not) combo. I ride Force22 so I am not so hard to impress. Also the chain was not lubed, clearly not helping with the shifting, so I bring my own lube now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

yinya wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:47 am
I rented from a different city, and I absolutely love the ability to rent a decent bike for not a lot and will stay a member only for this, but specifically the Di2 maintenance aspect I was not impressed with.

Ultimate came with DA Di2 and Aeroad with Ultegra Di2 - both were not trimming correct, not shifting and then shifting two cogs at a time somewhere in the cassette. Aeroad threw the chain from big ring to small in bigbig (I know I should not) combo. I ride Force22 so I am not so hard to impress. Also the chain was not lubed, clearly not helping with the shifting, so I bring my own lube now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess it varies from city to city, the SFO was good, couldn't fault it, maybe a pro mechanic could. I even shifted in every combo out of the saddle just to see what everyone was raving about with electronic groupset.....