Modern steel build recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What steel for 12sp Campagnolo record

Cinelli Vigorelli (700 Euro) (S)
3%
Ritchey Road Logic (1300 Euro but actual less)
32%
Bottecchia leggendaria (1600 Euro)
7%
Wilier Superleggera (2300 Euro)
3%
Custom Steel (Stelbel?)
56%

Total votes: 72

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

bilwit wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 1:00 am
now if only someone made an OEM direct mount carbon fork, then we'd really get to see a full on modern rim brake "classic" custom setup
Here it is:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:02 am
For my custom Ti bike I chose a Trek Domane fork so I can run DM brakes. The fork is great, and very affordable too. Cheaper than an Enve. The Domane fork comes in three different rakes and multiple color schemes to choose from. Your local Trek dealer can look up the part number on their web system.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0#p1376679

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Was told that stelbel sb03 is superb

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I think Jaegher would be a nice choise.

http://www.jaegher.com

toshi

by toshi

glam2deaf wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 am
Just adding my two cents. The Road Logic is probably the best bike I've ever owned. It's not the lightest, but the handling is superb.
Handling aside, what are other aspects of the Road Logic that set it apart? I think you've owned some superb bikes and would love to know what rates the Logic so high for you.

Kkeiller

by Kkeiller

I built this using the holdsworth competition frame as a base. It’s insanely good not to mention light.
Attachments
1D8F3B5B-5DB5-4497-8AB3-E9D4818A9F14.jpeg

guyc

by guyc

PinaRene wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Christ that's lovely

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Kkeiller wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 pm
I built this using the holdsworth competition frame as a base. It’s insanely good not to mention light.
Lovely, but what kind of fork are you using ? I am also quite happy with my Holdsworth Competition, totally different than my Scott Foil but pretty light with ± 7.4 Kg.

Kkeiller

by Kkeiller

The fork is a Columbus Fel. The holdsworth frame is a great deal even if you decide to repaint. Columbus spirit at £450 is madness. PinaRene, I followed your build thread for the holdsworth, thanks for the inspiration!

DJT21

by DJT21

PinaRene wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm
I think Jaegher would be a nice choise.

http://www.jaegher.com
Would be wprth doing some research before buying one of them; from what I've read, they can't build a straight frame.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

toshi wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:23 pm
glam2deaf wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 am
Just adding my two cents. The Road Logic is probably the best bike I've ever owned. It's not the lightest, but the handling is superb.
Handling aside, what are other aspects of the Road Logic that set it apart? I think you've owned some superb bikes and would love to know what rates the Logic so high for you.
The thing that has really impressed me with it has been the handling. Going back to the Super Six after the Cervelo's was a big improvement, especially when it came to descending. I didn't think it could get better, but I've found the Ritchey another step up again. It descends confidently, and the steel really does halp on some of the rubbish roads around here. I've gained nearly 2 kg on the bike weight, but it's really not noticeable in dayily riding.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Lots of good options being brought up.

Fully custom with custom paint is standing out more and more. Choosing a builder takes a bit of reserarch since custom builders are a dime a dozen with widely varying quality, time, and price I've seen. Going custom though has lots of advantages - something like internal frame routing as a benefit for a truly modern steel while maintaining more retro looks. Stripping a frame and repainting edges close to that area of might as well spend another go custom unless I can get a deal on frame, or painting, or both or diy. Though as a build first, then over winter have it stripped and painted might be a plan.

muti

by muti

I think firstly you have to decide if you want a lugged frame or a tig welded frame ( or even fillet brazed).From the frames that you are considering, I would choose the Bottecchia for the following reasons :
-It's made with Columbus spirit tubing(the main triangle),which is Columbus newest tubing.
-It's actually constructed by a very respected framebuilder(and due to his modest character VERY undarrated)Luigi Daccordi.Don't expect this to be verified as often the case with the subcontractors!
-It's available in 1cm increasements so you would be able to find your size.
The price is normal compared to the prices of other brands(most of which use older tubing).
If you would like to go full custom my suggestions would be:
-Somec for lugged
-Zullo or Bixxis for tig
-Casati for fillet
As you can clearly understand,I speak only for the European(Italian actually,hahaha)market which I know.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Some nice feedback Muti. Thanks.

I'm still a little lost on this decision, but in preparation I'm getting a professional to re-fit me next week

The worst part is the look is opposed to my mechanical engineering background. I know welded is stronger, but also... it doesn't matter that much because you shouldn't overload them -- unlikely at least. I know external routing is more the vintage look, but internal offers future proofing and options for the future. There was a comment about direct mount brakes or even getting the custom to have disc mounts and rim.

I didn't realize that the Bottecchia was subcontracted. The 1 cm increments is very nice. European is fine. If it's custom 95% sure it'll be made in Europe. Maybe 99%

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jokersan

by jokersan

What do you think about this :
Battaglin Power + Disc
http://stahlrahmen-bikes.de/rennrad/wil ... power-disc
--------------------------------------------------------
Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc
Bianchi Oltre XR4