2015 Allez Comp or 2018 Caad12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dghuggin1

by dghuggin1

Looking to pick up a new bike. The Allez Comp is a brand new leftover 2015 model I can get shipped to my door for $1350. The 2018 CAAD12 would be bought locally and after taxes cost me about $1682.00. 105 components on both. Looking to upgrade components down the line. Is this a matter of personal preference or is the 2015 model overpriced and not worth considering?
Last edited by dghuggin1 on Thu May 17, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I've seen that Allez go for 850 on the used market. On that note, I'd get the CAAD 12 used too. ~~$1,100.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

not a fan of the shape of the old Allez (the 2018 one with the dropped stays like the new Tarmac looks good though), CAAD12 for sure for me, very smart and clean looking bike

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

If the 2015 Allez Comp is one of the DSW frames, I'd jump on it. I have an Allez Sprint, so I may be biased, but I like it so much I've been contemplating trying to find one of the non-Sprint DSW bikes as a backup.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

dghuggin1 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 am
Looking to pick up a new bike. The Allez Comp is a brand new leftover 2015 model I can get shipped to my door for $1350. The 2018 CAAD12 would be bought locally and after taxes cost me about $1682.00. 105 components on both. Looking to upgrade components down the line. Is this a matter of personal preference or is the 2015 model overpriced and not worth considering?
I own a caad10 and I used to have a DSW allez (I think 2015 model). I prefer the caad10 over the allez, mainly because of the slightly lighter weight, braze on derailleur hanger and the geometry suites me better. The DSW allez is a great bike, probably the second best alloy bike ever made. If the allez geometry is better for you, there is nothing wrong with that bike.

dghuggin1

by dghuggin1

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:34 pm
If the 2015 Allez Comp is one of the DSW frames, I'd jump on it. I have an Allez Sprint, so I may be biased, but I like it so much I've been contemplating trying to find one of the non-Sprint DSW bikes as a backup.
2015 Allez Comp 105

FRAMESpecialized E5 Premium Aluminum w/ D'Aluisio Smartweld Technology, hydroformed aluminum tubing, tapered headtube, OSBB

Just wanted to know if at $1,350 brand new after shipping was it overpriced and I should spring for the CAAD12 instead. It seems it comes down to personal preference about fit. Personally I was trying to trend towards spending less money. I just wanted to know if that was a fair price for the 15. I prefer to buy a complete bike and upgrade over time instead of a full out build from a frameset, as this would be an upgrade over my current steed. My local bike shop did offer me a 2017 ultegra caad12 for $1700. I do believe that is before taxes though. Didn't really want to shell out over $1800 right now though...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'd say $1350 shipped for a brand new one is a fair price. Looks like used ones are still going for between $900-1200. 11s 105 groupset is a good group performance wise. I had that group on a bike for a while, can't tell the difference between it and the Ultegra.

The new 7000/8000 groups that came out this year may be better, but I'm guessing that CAAD12 is the 6800 from the last few years, and if the Allez rides anything like the Sprint I have (they share the same top tube, head tube and downtube), I can't imagine the CAAD being worth the extra $350 simply because it's "newer" and has Ultegra.

Just my opinion.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.