bearing Tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvq

by dvq

Timmy269 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 am
Timmy269 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm
Must I remove the clip before I knock the bearings out?

Yes.
How can I remove them if the bearing still is in the frame?
Timmy269 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm
Which loctite I should use to replace the new bearings?

A very light coat of loctite 609 retaining compound on the outer race surface.
Is loctite 648 good enough, a friend of mine has a bottle of 648?

I have mailed BBinfinite and the suggested these two
https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb3 ... mm-spindle
https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/cer ... k-setspair
That is not cheap but the both are ceramic.

I hope the ABEC-7 is as good :-)
Loctite 648 might be a bit much, that's got a really high sheer force, will just make removing them more difficult.

As for the module you linked, you don't need the module unless you're also removing the epoxied in cups. Again, I repeat, you ONLY need the bare bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvq

by dvq

thePrince wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:53 pm
Regarding the retaining clips. Every OSBB I've ever worked on (and I currently own three bikes with OSBB, which is a terrible system for the record), the clips are behind the bearings to keep them in place while the crank compresses from the outside. So you have to knock out the bearings first, then use a screwdriver and pliers to remove the clips. (Cannondale uses a clip that has two holes on either side so you can use a removal tool).

Add loctite at your own risk. This is just delaying the inevitable problem. Spec's implentation of this is particularly prone to creaking because the diameter of their shell is too big. Add loctite to prevent creaking. Next time you go to replace those bearings, they will be a mother to get out.

If I were you I would buy the Praxis OSBB to GXP conversion kit and say goodbye to the OSBB.
I've had problems using a bearing removal tool with the retaining clips in place as they would interfere with bearing contact, but I guess if you use a bearing extractor that grabs the inner race then it should be fine.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I'm not gonna remove the epoxied in cups, just the bearings.
Loctite is maybe a bad idea, and what about assambly paste?

I have a video with the noise one bearing makes. It's only the bearing on the cranck side that makes the noise. When i spin the crank, I don't feel resistance.
https://youtu.be/VhIA5gNTaiE

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Do I have to put grease on the bearing before I put the dust cover on (between dust cover and bearing)?

sungod

by sungod

no loctite, it can be brutal getting bearings out, if the old bearings didnt't need it the news ones shouldn't either

no assembly paste, keep that stuff well away from bearings!

just put a bit of waterproof grease on cup mounting surfaces and outer race

i do a lot of wet riding so i put some grease between covers/bearings to reduce water ingress, but if you're riding dry i'd leave it out

fwiw use skf lghp 2 grease (it's the blue one) when fitting and when regreasing bearings, it's waterproof and stays in place, a cartridge lasts many years, shop around as some places charge crazy prices

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Thanks