Sram Red Etap RD Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martinfrias

by martinfrias

Hello friends, martin from Chile here, i recently got a bike with Red Etap, but it came with 11-28 and short rd, i went on to put 11-32 and thou it works its very stretched on big big and loose on small small, so my question is; is there a way to go to wifli cage without buying the new rd, maybe just buying the cage, or a mechanical sram cage would work?
Thanks in advanced!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This is a fairly common question. Do a search. I recall someone said the RD geometry is different on the WiFli RD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What you can do to get a little more tooth capacity is to enlarge the pulley wheels. With a 14t (or maybe 16t if it fits) lower pulley you can get that little extra chain tension in the small/small combo.

You will need a longer chain. (A longer chain is also sometimes needed when you up the cassette size.)

Only enlarge your upper pulley if you have the necessary clearance in the largest cog. I even reduced the size to 10t on one derailleur.

/a

sungod

by sungod

small-small is just not needed, even with 11-28 and all other set-up correct it is quite loose, so don't worry about that end (unless you want the chain hitting the chainstay!)

as long as big-big has correct pulley-cassette clearance, and correct chain length safety margin it will not break

if it's still new, can you get the shop to swap the fd for a small fee? or sell the current fd, depends what local market is like

octav

by octav

@Martin : I have also a Sram Etap and running a Ultegra 11-30 Cassette on the bike. I also have a 32 but it doesn't work wit hstandard pulleys.
I have just installed a road link when I went to the alps for 2 weeks.