revoloop review? feedback?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

richard@lbrc.org

by richard@lbrc.org

Hi,

It's been 8 weeks and 1,000km+ since I last wrote. My revoloops are as good as new, holding air nicely, still feeling fast.

I am slightly paranoid about puncturing them - because I'm not sure how to mend them, and they are pretty expensive.

I think they are perfect race day tubes, or special event tubes, rather then everyday commuting around city streets with glass or country lanes with flint chippings.

They were brilliant for our week in the alps, and worth every penny on those days.

R.

Hex

by Hex

richard@lbrc.org wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:36 pm
Hi,

It's been 8 weeks and 1,000km+ since I last wrote. My revoloops are as good as new, holding air nicely, still feeling fast.

I am slightly paranoid about puncturing them - because I'm not sure how to mend them, and they are pretty expensive.

I think they are perfect race day tubes, or special event tubes, rather then everyday commuting around city streets with glass or country lanes with flint chippings.

They were brilliant for our week in the alps, and worth every penny on those days.

R.
Thanks for your reply! From what i read (the few bits available online) they seem to be not supple on the road. Sort of a butyl/hard feel. Is that right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TiCass

by TiCass

What about rolling resistance?
If its harder, I would assume it means more rolling resistance, so not that good!?

richard@lbrc.org

by richard@lbrc.org

I would say they feel harder than latex, but they are so much lighter. Difficult balance. To me they feel faster, not sure what a lab would say. Going back to latex certainly my feels slower. I didn't really much about with pressure (I am 75kg, run 8bar in my tyres}. plenty of room to adjust I guess.

Interested to hear what others think.

R.

Hex

by Hex

richard@lbrc.org wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pm
I would say they feel harder than latex, but they are so much lighter. Difficult balance. To me they feel faster, not sure what a lab would say. Going back to latex certainly my feels slower. I didn't really much about with pressure (I am 75kg, run 8bar in my tyres}. plenty of room to adjust I guess.

R.
Zero updates from others! :D

I am still tempted, but I'm gonna be stocking up on Vredestein Latex tubes soon.
I went back to latex and some cotton casings and...man. What a feel.
Def worth the loss of air overnight.
Compared to tubeless... it's just so much nicer.

StanK

by StanK

Is there anywhere (EU) to buy them, like in stock? The manufacturer's page said that it's currently unavailable (as well as many other models), in some web shops that the delivery time is several weeks. Is it possible that is so much demand? Or is it just a little bit weird?

Btw. I'm looking for white, 40mm valve, 40 grams.

akaspin

by akaspin

StanK wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:31 pm
Is there anywhere (EU) to buy them, like in stock? The manufacturer's page said that it's currently unavailable (as well as many other models), in some web shops that the delivery time is several weeks. Is it possible that is so much demand? Or is it just a little bit weird?

bike-components.de, r2-bike.com

akaspin

by akaspin

Long-rerm review:

I'm using Revoloop.white with Vittoria Corsa G+. Ride feel is pretty close to latex. Durable, keeps air like butyl. Tubes can be unmounted and mounted again without issues. No issues with rim brakes with carbon rims.

The main disadvantage is valves.

1. It's very hard to find "right" pump head for smooth plastic valves. Hirame, SKS and Silca push heads just blows-out from valves on high pressures. I finished with Lezyne ABS-1 PRO HP chuck. Hint: use blue loctite on presta cores and cure for 24h.
2. Presta cores failed after some inflations: compression ring popped off from place. Replaced with stan's - no more issues.

After deal with pump and presta cores I'm absolutelly happy.
Last edited by akaspin on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

peroni

by peroni

richard@lbrc.org wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pm

R.
8 bar? That's 116 PSI, I thought those days were over.
With your weight I would not inflate more than 6 bar unless these revoloop really require more air pressure ?
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

StanK

by StanK

akaspin wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 am
StanK wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:31 pm
Is there anywhere (EU) to buy them, like in stock?
bike-components.de, r2-bike.com
Not in stock.

tallterry

by tallterry

I bought some of these from BikeInn. I tried to install them carefully. They both developed multiple punctures within 15 miles. Most odd is that one of them developed a perfectly straight and clean slice, maybe one quarter of an inch long, running exactly perpendicular to the rotational direction of the wheel. The only thing I can imagine causing that cut is the end of the rim tape.

Anyway, IMO these are far, far too fragile for real world use. There is a reason you can hardly find them anywhere despite the great $/gram saved ratio.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

I've been running road tubeless with fragile Vittoria Corsa Speed since almost one year ago and had the first flat after 8.000 km.

Then I thought I'd give the Tubolito S-Tubo a try, used them in S-Works Turbo Cottons.
And have had the first flat after only 700 km. Replaced for another one. Exactly same happened as with tallterry: failure within few miles, straight slice.

So two flats within 700 km. 50 Euros out the window. Am not amused.

Edit: just realized this is the Revoloop thread... sorry for posting about Tubolitos here. But its the same TPU material anyways ;)
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I am not a fan of Specialized, but i like the Turbo tube with talc.
It's just as light as latex tubes, but doesn't lose air pressure as fast (and IMO, more durable).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I think punctures are just down to luck, honestly. Latex or thin butyl will puncture just as readily as revoloop or tubolito.

I've been running them for about a month or so, and no issues so far. Have to say that GP5000 with revoloop feels better on the road than GP5000 TL - where I think the thick inner layer of butyl makes the casing much bouncier. In any case, revoloops or tubolitos are certainly good for a spare kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zzzzz8

by zzzzz8

Fitted white Revoloops about 500k ago whilst replacing GP 5000tl's with Pirelli p zero's, both 25mm. Like night and day. I never really got on with the Conti's so when one punctured and wouldn't seal properly I gave the Revoloops a try. So far I'm very happy. Much nicer ride and much lighter to boot. They hold pressure well, are easy to fit and I've had no valve or puncture issues. I live in the Alps where the roads are generally pretty smooth. Running them at 6 bar and I weigh 64kg.