Alternatives to crappy minipumps and CO2 cartridges?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

Where I live we have a fair amount of flats. Even if you tend to your gear and change tires regularly.

I find the CO2 cartridge solution fine, but the metal waste annoys me. And mini pumps just dont get the tire to 60+ psi without very hard work and a long wait for the teammates if at all.

Any solutions out there? I'd love a CO2 refillable cartridge, that would be refilled with my floor pump. But haven't seen any, and am not sure it is possible.

sib

by sib

I read about this recently.
I've not used one and it's heavy, but there appear to be solutions out there:

http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rideair/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i use a lezyne carbon road drive (medium size), i can get 6bar ok, 7 is a stretch unless you have strong arms and plenty of time, main problem is the cf body does not conduct heat well so the alloy fitting where the hose connects gets really hot, i changed the hose to the one with the built-in gauge, it fits inside just the same...
http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-carbonrd.php

for commute i have the bigger micro floor drive, it's like a mini track pump, weighs 225g for the version with gauge, getting 6bar is a piece of cake, with the fairly light weight will go in a jersey pocket but it sticks out a bit!
http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv ... ldrhvg.php

both have had a lot of use over many years, only real criticism is the screw-on head is light alloy and eventually wears out on the presta valve steel threads, i got one of the lezyne mini push-on heads instead, these just need the o-ring changed every few years

ooo

by ooo

https://www.fumpapumps.com/shop/minifumpa/
190 g battery powered 50 seconds 100 psi pocket pump (2 tyres/charge)
'

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^ well now that’s something I haven’t seen before or even knew it existed. Still, I kind of like just having my Lezyne Road Drive alloy pump attached to my seattube. Always there, don’t have to stuff it in my pockets etc. Hardly ever need it, but when you do, you do.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ooo wrote:https://www.fumpapumps.com/shop/minifumpa/
190 g battery powered 50 seconds 100 psi pocket pump (2 tyres/charge)
Do you have one? If yes how do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, and how many full pumps of a high pressure road tire could you get from a single charge?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ooo

by ooo

minifumpa is 2x 100psi tyres/charge

I dont have it. I'd like to have one with removable 18650 batteries.
Similar 400g $40 portable electric pumps are popular for motorcycles
'

AJS914

by AJS914

I go so far between flats (like 2 years now) that I'd be affraid it would be out of juice the day I needed it.

I put in a vote for the Lezyne Road Drive. I have the medium and I really like the water bottle cage clamp. I keep one on each bike because if I had to rely on myself moving a pump from bike to bike I'd forget it the day I needed it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, while it looks like a nifty gadget, the fewer things I have to ensure are charged before a ride the better. I too, keep a separate Lezyne Road Drive pump attached to each bike.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I know this is heretical to WW but I often carry a Silca full frame pump, especially if I’m riding away from home, which I do often, or if I’m riding with a bunch of friends. It’s heavy but it’s a joy to use. Otherwise I’ll carry a Lezyne road drive attached to the seat tube water bottle cage.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ever thought of tubeless?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Multebear

by Multebear

Severel good suggestions - thanks.

Yeah, I have thought of tubeless. Some of the mates have tried it with mixed succes. We get a lot of flats here, unless you ride something like 4seasons spring, summer, fall, and Durano plus in the winter. Maybe even with inner tube protector in the winter. That's how bad it is. Tubeless can only take so many flats, and it's usually not the tires as much as sealant that protects.

commendatore

by commendatore

Where is “here?” I want to put it on my list of places not to visit

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Frankie - B wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:49 pm
Ever thought of tubeless?
Yep. I live in the states, so there's a lot of stray glass from motor vehicle accidents, degenerate behavior, etc. Tubeless has reduced my flatting to effectively zero. I might get a puncture that requires a DynaPlug and a pump once or twice a year. I just carry the lightest, dinkiest pump (Topeak Micro Rocket) in my middle jersey pocket and a DynaPlug Racer in my nylon ride wallet. For most rides I don't even carry a tube and I don't need levers with Hutchinson Fusion 5s or Mavic Yksion Pro tires. The Micro Rocket obviously won't get to high pressures easily, but for most rides my tires are between 60-67 psi anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com