Polished inner cables, yay or nay? Are there bad ones?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hey WWs

I would like to ask those of you who have tried using polished inner cables. What is your impression and have you encountered any bad ones or problems?

Are they worth it?

Here in China there are non-major brand Made in Taiwan polished cables el cheapo. I'm thinking about trying them. Currently I use the teflon coated ones and they work fine I guess. I can't help but notice that other shifters I've felt have been more buttery smooth.

I'd prefer not to compare different housing as I'm already pretty happy with the weenie housing I got. Just looking to optimize the inner cable.

/a

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Not sure if you are seeing some next level polishing, but I've certainly seen some that were pretty smooth and shiny over the years. Do you mean a "slick cable" as seen in the image down this page a bit, or something beyond that? https://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Po ... -2013.html

Intuitively, it seems like you would want them to be as smooth as possible, and prior to the polymer coated cables becoming more standard, the slick stainless where the outer strands are somewhat flattened, was as good as it got. I have seen the claim made, however, that if they are too smooth it can actually increase friction due to their being more surface area in contact with the outers, and less nooks and crannies to hold/retain/disburse lubricant.

From my experience the polymer/teflon coatings will generally peel off and gum up, so while they may be good when fresh they end up being a detriment later. That might just be that I tend to swap them out less frequently than others though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Thank you very much TheKaiser

Seems the polishing on these cables are just to make them rounder. Sure the contact area might be increased but the total area of the cable surface is reduced. Maybe they are less abraisive on the liner this way.

A follow up question is about Jagwire Elite and Pro polished inner cables. If they both are about being "uncoated polished" then how can there really be a difference between them? They certainly cost a lot different. :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:17 am

A follow up question is about Jagwire Elite and Pro polished inner cables. If they both are about being "uncoated polished" then how can there really be a difference between them? They certainly cost a lot different. :lol:

https://jagwire.com/guides/inner-wire

Elite Polished is more polished than Pro Polished.