Carbon seatpost - tangible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JScycle

by JScycle

Hi WW!
I recently had a bike fit and have been told I need a 0mm offset post (saddle is outside of the max range and I don't want to damage it.
I currently have a Syncros carbon post that came in my Scott Addict 20. It is around 210g.
I was looking at the price of carbon posts and they aren't cheap.
Would an aluminum Thompson Masterpiece at 193 grams be comparable to the carbon post?
I know that carbon posts have vibration dampening features but is this tangible or could I save money (and weight :wink: ) with the aluminum. If the different is significant I may end up buying a Pro post or something

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I'm sure it's possible to get a reasonably priced carbon fibre seat post without breaking the bank, just for better compliance. Does depend though, if you've got a fairly comfortable saddle and smooth roads then it might be worth saving money and going for alu alloy.

I've got a light very unforgiving Chinese carbon fibre railed saddle (saving for a carbon Fizik Arione) and a nice compliant seat post really helps keep things getting too painful.

Generally speaking the first thing I'd buy for my bike made from carbon fibre would be a seat post.

JScycle

by JScycle

Lewn777 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:46 am
I'm sure it's possible to get a reasonably priced carbon fibre seat post without breaking the bank, just for better compliance. Does depend though, if you've got a fairly comfortable saddle and smooth roads then it might be worth saving money and going for alu alloy.

I've got a light very unforgiving Chinese carbon fibre railed saddle (saving for a carbon Fizik Arione) and a nice compliant seat post really helps keep things getting too painful.

Generally speaking the first thing I'd buy for my bike made from carbon fibre would be a seat post.
Thanks for your reply. Since I have a carbon one at the moment I definitely don't want to go back to something with less comfort. Any brands of seatpost you reccomend?

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

https://www.dulight.fr/en/mtb/745-lyti- ... tpost.html

Bastion is a good person to deal with, friendly informative communication and prompt delivery

The seat post is €99 and 127g for 27.2 by 350mm

I've got one sitting on the bench which I'll be fitting soon
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

It's only going to make a tangible difference if you have a fair bit of seatpost showing. But yes. I believe there is a big difference between carbon and aluminum posts.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

JScycle wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:21 am
I know that carbon posts have vibration dampening features but is this tangible or could I save money (and weight :wink: ) with the aluminum. If the different is significant I may end up buying a Pro post or something
That question is a bit too general, as carbon posts themselves vary widely in vibration damping capability. Also, you should think about if you just want vibration damping, or if you actually want the post to deflect when you hit a bump to soften the impact, as those are 2 different things. This article here is about the best resource you'll find on the topic, although they are testing 27.2mm posts. I see the current model Addict looks to be 27.2mm but many years back they were bigger, so you'd want to see what you have and if it's a larger one, hope that the data still is reasonbly representative. It is also possible to shim a post, so you could still run 27.2 for the additional flex even if your frame is bigger if you wanted to go that route:

http://www.velonews.com/2012/12/trainin ... ost_267560

JScycle

by JScycle

Thanks for all your help so far.
I made an impulse purchase and bought a pro vibe carbon seatpost in 0mm offset. The website says it has some flex but of course can't take much from that.
Hopefully I made a good choice as it was really expensive and im now regretting it :/

RyanH

by RyanH

If it makes you feel any better, I currently have a Thomson post on my steel Indy Fab and can only presume that the somewhat harsh ride is due to that post. Good carbon posts make a significant difference. On my T3 I temporarily put a 3T alloy post and I felt like I was riding a harsh carbon frame again.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

JScycle wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 am
I made an impulse purchase and bought a pro vibe carbon seatpost in 0mm offset. The website says it has some flex but of course can't take much from that.
Hopefully I made a good choice as it was really expensive and im now regretting it :/
Don't worry, PRO stuff is nice quality. I haven't ridden their posts, but I'm sure it's excellent. :D

JScycle

by JScycle

Lewn777 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:37 am
JScycle wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 am
Don't worry, PRO stuff is nice quality. I haven't ridden their posts, but I'm sure it's excellent. :D
Ok thanks that actually makes me feel much better. It's an expensive post but if it's quality and mutes vibrations well then all good :)
RyanH wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 am
If it makes you feel any better, I currently have a Thomson post on my steel Indy Fab and can only presume that the somewhat harsh ride is due to that post. Good carbon posts make a significant difference. On my T3 I temporarily put a 3T alloy post and I felt like I was riding a harsh carbon frame again.
Thanks RyanH. I guess it's material properties do mute vibrations due to it's structure.

nickf

by nickf

I have been running a 0° Omni racer carbon post for years now with no issues. Affordable and inexpensive.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/OMNI-Racer-WORLD ... xynRRSN3Uq

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Everything being equal, a setback post will be more comfortable than a zero setback post. However if your fit dictates a zero setback post then your options become more limited. There are some saddles out there with a longer rail clamp area to facilitate the use of a setback post. Setback posts are typically a tiny bit heavier than zero setback posts. Hence most of the Uber WW posts are the zero setback type. On setback posts, the greater the setback the greater the comfort. It’s just simple physics. The setback part of the post acts as a lever to transform the vertical motion into flexing the seatpost.

By the way, the material damping quality has much less of an effect on comfort than the dimensional differences on a seatpost (setback, tube diameter, etc). An aluminum 27.2 setback post will be more comfortable than a carbon zero setback 31.8 post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Mon May 14, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

it remind me of this test.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137737

and then this article:
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/jra-wit ... ll-matter/

Some great seatpost really complement tire's compliance. But not all carbon contribute noticeably if you already have wide tires (and low pressure).
I think if you still can fit wider tires with lower pressure (without messing up aerodynamic of your wheels), wider tires first. If it's not enough, then seatpost.
Probably the Ritchey as it dampen well and having low weight.

stockae92

by stockae92

I am still riding my 15 yr old Thomas Al seatpost, 0 offset, on carbon frame.

Having 25cc tires @ 90 psi makes a huge difference in comfort, so much so that I can feel it soak up bumps and I had to look down to make sure its not going flat. :p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com