Modifying shoes for Speedplay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

It annoys me that my “aero” cleats stick out so far, I know it won’t make a difference to the actual aero but it looks rubbish and I’m bored. Has anyone ever modified a carbon sole to directly mount the cleat to the shoe like a proper Speedplay compatible shoe?

It should be easy but......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It cannot be easily done as the sole is arched and the speedplay cleat is flat. Shoes that are directly compatible with speedplay have a flat part in the sole.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

sungod

by sungod

there's an add-on bit you can get that fits around the 3-hole adaptor to fill the gap...
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... =5&minor=6

i never bothered as i need a cleat shim on one foot plus wedges, so i'd still end up with gaps, but if you've no shims/wedges they should fit fine

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Never seen those add-on adaptors before, cheers for that!
Last edited by Monkeyfudger on Sat May 12, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Frankie - B wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am
It cannot be easily done as the sole is arched and the speedplay cleat is flat. Shoes that are directly compatible with speedplay have a flat part in the sole.
I always wondered what the difference was.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:36 pm
It annoys me that my “aero” cleats stick out so far, I know it won’t make a difference to the actual aero but it looks rubbish and I’m bored. Has anyone ever modified a carbon sole to directly mount the cleat to the shoe like a proper Speedplay compatible shoe?

It should be easy but......

I've modified soles to mount speedplay cleats further rearward, but used their aluminum 3-hole baseplate adaptor. The process is similar to what you are asking, as the adaptor is flat, and I had to drill out the shoe for the 3 hole pattern and then build up the sole such that it had a relatively flat surface. I considered skipping the adaptor altogheter and just doing a direct 4 hole mount, but went this route as it allowed more for/aft adjustability. Might do a direct mount next time around though.

Basically, it could be done, but would require a high comfort level with a dremel, drill, and some sort of expoxy or heat moldable plastic to create the flat platform on the sole. I prefer the heat mold stuff as you can more easily rework it if you dont nail the alignment the first time around.

eric01

by eric01

I think by the time you're done with all of the mods you'll have a protrusion as tall as what you have today.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Back in the days I bothered with Speedplay I used the Northwave Speedplay Adaptor Kit quite successfully (for the low stack). There is a post right here on WW: search! :welcome:
Less is more.