Modifying shoes for Speedplay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

It annoys me that my “aero” cleats stick out so far, I know it won’t make a difference to the actual aero but it looks rubbish and I’m bored. Has anyone ever modified a carbon sole to directly mount the cleat to the shoe like a proper Speedplay compatible shoe?

It should be easy but......

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

It cannot be easily done as the sole is arched and the speedplay cleat is flat. Shoes that are directly compatible with speedplay have a flat part in the sole.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

there's an add-on bit you can get that fits around the 3-hole adaptor to fill the gap...
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... =5&minor=6

i never bothered as i need a cleat shim on one foot plus wedges, so i'd still end up with gaps, but if you've no shims/wedges they should fit fine

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Never seen those add-on adaptors before, cheers for that!
Last edited by Monkeyfudger on Sat May 12, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Frankie - B wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am
It cannot be easily done as the sole is arched and the speedplay cleat is flat. Shoes that are directly compatible with speedplay have a flat part in the sole.
I always wondered what the difference was.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:36 pm
It annoys me that my “aero” cleats stick out so far, I know it won’t make a difference to the actual aero but it looks rubbish and I’m bored. Has anyone ever modified a carbon sole to directly mount the cleat to the shoe like a proper Speedplay compatible shoe?

It should be easy but......

I've modified soles to mount speedplay cleats further rearward, but used their aluminum 3-hole baseplate adaptor. The process is similar to what you are asking, as the adaptor is flat, and I had to drill out the shoe for the 3 hole pattern and then build up the sole such that it had a relatively flat surface. I considered skipping the adaptor altogheter and just doing a direct 4 hole mount, but went this route as it allowed more for/aft adjustability. Might do a direct mount next time around though.

Basically, it could be done, but would require a high comfort level with a dremel, drill, and some sort of expoxy or heat moldable plastic to create the flat platform on the sole. I prefer the heat mold stuff as you can more easily rework it if you dont nail the alignment the first time around.

eric01

by eric01

I think by the time you're done with all of the mods you'll have a protrusion as tall as what you have today.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Back in the days I bothered with Speedplay I used the Northwave Speedplay Adaptor Kit quite successfully (for the low stack). There is a post right here on WW: search! :welcome:
Less is more.