Speedplay question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Just bought a pair of speedplay x1. eBay seller listed it as 144g for a pair. Much lighter than my current eggbeater Ti.

Here’s a stupid question. This is my first set of speedplay and not sure what version of cleat I need. There seems to be so many different versions available. Also do you need a shim to mount to 3 hole?

Lastly, where can I find a pair of cleat for cheap? Slickdeals anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/sp ... ts-62-4085

don't buy Zero cleats, buy X-Series.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

^this

In case you were wondering, you can technically clip in with Zero cleats but because the X1 pedals don't have the same ramps/indentions, it would effectively be 100% float and require you to twist your foot almost 90 degrees to clip out. Yes I've tried it :lol:

Getting the chromoly zero pedals and replacing the spindle & bowties with aftermarket Ti ones and getting the Aero walkable cleats is always my recommendation for people interested in SpeedPlay. The Aero walkable cleats are indeed heavier than the normal Zero ones but very much worth the extra convenience in my opinion (no wear on the actual metal, more grip to push off from and to walk around in, etc).
Last edited by bilwit on Thu May 10, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

bilwit wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:46 pm
it would effectively be 100% float and require you to twist your foot almost 90 degrees to clip out. Yes I've tried it :lol:
Ahaha! I'd love to see someone do that at the lights :twisted:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

bilwit wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:46 pm
Getting the chromoly zero pedals and replacing the spindle & bowties with aftermarket Ti ones and getting the Aero walkable cleats is always my recommendation for people interested in SpeedPlay. The Aero walkable cleats are indeed heavier than the normal Zero ones but very much worth the extra convenience in my opinion (no wear on the actual metal, more grip to push off from and to walk around in, etc).
I will second getting the Zero's and the Aero/Walkable cleats. That's what I use and the walkable cleats are 10x easier to walk in than Shimano or Look and 100x easier than the metal plate SpeedPlay. They do make walkable covers for the normal Zero cleats, not sure if they have them for the X1s. I have had a problem with the covers for the normal cleats streatching and comming off while I've been out on rides.

I haven't done the aftermarket Ti upgrades as I'm a bit too close to the weight limit at the moment, but I've been extremely hapy with my Zero's.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

addictR1

by addictR1

thank you all.. too late to cancel on the X1 speedplay.. already won. so picked up the x series cleats per everyone's suggestions. :) can't wait...
now need new road shoes.......... my current pair is about 10yrs old now. lol

addictR1

by addictR1

hi guys.. i bought these x series cleat v.2 version and tried it with my X1 pedal.

somehow i need to turn my heels almost 90 degree before it will unclip. is that right?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Speedplay-X-Seri ... 0012.m1985

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Its probably a technique thing; try it on the turbo using different actions. Faster, rougher, a direct pull up, that sort of thing.
From what i read, its because there's no ramp up in tension to the release point, you are able to rotate it over the whole of its float.
Official cafe stop tester

addictR1

by addictR1

I noticed it’s easier to unclip when it’s at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Twisting it out the front of my shoe can press up against the crank arm to have some leverage to unclip. Very tough to unclip when shoes is at the 12 o’clock position.

Rick

by Rick

addictR1 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 10:52 pm
I noticed it’s easier to unclip when it’s at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
+1
That applies to getting in as well.
I hear some new-users of speedplays sometimes complain that it is hard to clip in. They should actually be very easy to clip-in if the cleats are set up correctly.
Find the location as stepping down, and they will often clip in on the down stroke, but don't really worry about being clipped in until near the bottom of the stoke and you can use your body weight to press down a little easier.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

addictR1 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:24 am
hi guys.. i bought these x series cleat v.2 version and tried it with my X1 pedal.

somehow i need to turn my heels almost 90 degree before it will unclip. is that right?
addictR1 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:24 am
I didn't realize they offered a v.2 cleat for X series pedals now. A couple years back, it was time for me to get some new cleats for my Zeros, and it was right about when they came out with v.2 cleats them. A lot of the literature made it sound like there was some drastic difference from v.1 to v.2 and had some dire warnings about using the wrong ones etc... so I called speedplay to make sure the v.2s would work fine with my pedals and shoe adaptors. The guy on the phone indicated the changes were minimal, and had to do with how the bolt fitment and cleat sandwich fit together, and it was really no big deal on v.1 vs. v.2.

Long story short, assuming the same applied to X series pedals, as long as you are using the new parts kit in its entirety, and not mixing and matching parts with other cleat kits, then I don't think v.2 is the cause of your wide release angle. Speedplays do have a very wide release angle. From memory, the X series were something like 25ish-degrees of float. Typically, quoted float figures just tell you the point at when the cleat will "start" to release, but it may take substantially more rotation after that to actually cleanly exit. If you are really needing to hit nearly 90-degrees to get out then it does sound like something might be wrong, but if it is actually around 30-35 degrees, that sounds about right, and 30-35 degress may feel like 90 when compared to other pedals. I'd suggest clipping the shoes in with the bike on the trainer, or even leaning against the wall, and then taking your feet out and manipulating them by hand, so you can observe their behavior. That way you can really accuratly gauge the angle and also get down at pedal level and observe what is going on at the cleat/pedal interface. Part of the reason Speedplay came out with the zero was, besides wanting the ability to limit float, there were some potential users who simply lacked the range of motion to exit the X series at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks guys. Today had my first ride with speedplay x. Felt nice and different from my eggbeaters. Still need to get some use to to but at least I didn’t tip over and fall. Tried to unclip at different angles and bottom seems to work best.

Clipping in likewise found using my body weight helps too.