Emonda ALR 58cm - Where to go next

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johanalexander

by johanalexander

A quick update. Installed the deda seatpost and skewers and the bike now comes in at just about 8kg. Will look into a new saddle soon because my current one is squeaking badly. So much it is a real head turner in my group. I thought at first the sound came from the front end, then the seatpost but have finally found the plastic under the saddle to be source.

I also had a minor crasch going slowly on gravel and scratched my rear mech. It seems to work fine, but thought this might be a good reason to upgrade to an ultegra rear mech, only to find that it only is about 20g lighter but for almost double the price. Ultegra vs 105 always left me a bit ”meh” since IMO the price difference never really could motivate the weight saving. Dont know about the R8000 version though.
Eating trash'n riding fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Seatpost, inner tubes, skewers, handlebars (look at the stem integrated bontrager xxx chinese copy 250gr), brake calipers, cassette, crank.

/a

sawyer

by sawyer

johanalexander wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 am
A quick update. Installed the deda seatpost and skewers and the bike now comes in at just about 8kg. Will look into a new saddle soon because my current one is squeaking badly. So much it is a real head turner in my group. I thought at first the sound came from the front end, then the seatpost but have finally found the plastic under the saddle to be source.

I also had a minor crasch going slowly on gravel and scratched my rear mech. It seems to work fine, but thought this might be a good reason to upgrade to an ultegra rear mech, only to find that it only is about 20g lighter but for almost double the price. Ultegra vs 105 always left me a bit ”meh” since IMO the price difference never really could motivate the weight saving. Dont know about the R8000 version though.
Don't bother with 105>Ultegra. Upgrade the chainset to Dura Ace for a material weight saving. As funds allow you can move more parts over to DA.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

moyboy

by moyboy

Def. look into changing the group set specifically the heavier parts.
Also there are weight savings all around like cages and carbon rail saddle. just make sure your seat post can accommodate the oval rails.

johanalexander

by johanalexander

moyboy wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:35 pm
Def. look into changing the group set specifically the heavier parts.
Also there are weight savings all around like cages and carbon rail saddle. just make sure your seat post can accommodate the oval rails.
Groupset is something I would like to change, but up the road somewhere. I like shimano, but I’m a bit torn between R8000 or Force 22. But this will be in a while. However, seatpost, skewers, bar tape and seatpost clamp have been changed since the chart was made. I also found a good deal on a Fizik antares R3 saddle wich is on it’s way. It should put me around 7,9kg including pedals, cages and gps/mount. I’ll update when I have all parts mounted! :)

johanalexander

by johanalexander

sawyer wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 12:25 pm
johanalexander wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 am

Don't bother with 105>Ultegra. Upgrade the chainset to Dura Ace for a material weight saving. As funds allow you can move more parts over to DA.
Would the new Dura ace chainset work with shimano 105 5800?

moyboy

by moyboy

If i recall there is a small spacing issue (or difference) with the newest gen of chainsets for the r8000 / da9100 vs the 5800 / 6800

johanalexander

by johanalexander

So, a quick update again. Saddle has arrived and the bike now weighs in at 7,95kg including pedals, bottle cages and Wahoo. Pretty happy about it! Bars are next up. Took a few pictures of the bike today. And the best thing is that the squeaky bontrager saddle is now gone!
Attachments
6EC804DD-FFEB-42A5-9CA2-AE953FF502FF.jpeg
A7441D8B-95A5-43DC-8879-9C7F030F8268.jpeg
4657488A-028C-425A-A5A9-77FE6C9E4DDD.jpeg

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Congratulations on your Trek. It looks to be a solid build with quite high value for money. The saddle tilt, however... :shock:

It would seem you have done most of the low(ish) cost upgrades available, though I can't see if you upgraded your innertubes already. Lightweight (preferably Vredestein latex) innertubes would be my first choice here.

There are some good deals available on 6800 Ultegra, which would all work with your 105 stuff, but as you indicate the cost/benefit is on the marginal side (funny to downplay marginal weight savings on this forum...). Crankset, brakes and rear derailleur (consider a short cage if you don't run above 28t cassette) would probably where I'd look. Also there are low weight brake calipers available from the likes of KCNC if that's a thing for you.

Other than that, ride and enjoy your bike :thumbup:

johanalexander

by johanalexander

happyon2wheels wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am
Congratulations on your Trek. It looks to be a solid build with quite high value for money. The saddle tilt, however... :shock:

It would seem you have done most of the low(ish) cost upgrades available, though I can't see if you upgraded your innertubes already. Lightweight (preferably Vredestein latex) innertubes would be my first choice here.

There are some good deals available on 6800 Ultegra, which would all work with your 105 stuff, but as you indicate the cost/benefit is on the marginal side (funny to downplay marginal weight savings on this forum...). Crankset, brakes and rear derailleur (consider a short cage if you don't run above 28t cassette) would probably where I'd look. Also there are low weight brake calipers available from the likes of KCNC if that's a thing for you.

Other than that, ride and enjoy your bike :thumbup:
Thank you! Lol, yeah, the saddle tilt is a bit extreme. I like a slight saddle tilt, but I have to raise it a bit as this is a little bit extreme :lol:

Yes most of the "easier" upgrades have been made and I'm quite comfortable with it. Since I don't want the bike to cost me way too much I think it's quite good at the moment, except for the bars wich I would like to narrow down. Pro Vibe Alloy is what I'm thinking.

I do have a short cage 105 mech on the shelf, but I run a 11-32 casette at the moment (easier gears since I only have the time to ride about half as much since becoming a father, and my area is hilly :D ). But latex tubes are definetley something worth checking out! I saw Bontrager and Vittoria make them. I have been looking around for a clearence on a DA9000 crankset, but hard to find with 175mm cranks and 50/34. However, saving the money to swap the 105 out for SRAM Force is tempting, but not right now.

johanalexander

by johanalexander

Quick update again. Might not be very interesting, but could be fun for me to see in the future and overlook the progress.

Bars have been replaced for a set of Pro Vibe Aluminium compact bars (40cm, 280g). Found them at my LBS in a clearence box for roughly 30€. They are not the newest version, but shaved a few grams of the bike. I like the more narrow width, and "beefier" top.

tmchen

by tmchen

Nice break down. I'm also looking at getting the ALR in the same size. Hopefully I can get it down to about 7.5 there abouts.