Emonda ALR 58cm - Where to go next

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johanalexander

by johanalexander

Hello,

I'm riding a Trek Emonda ALR 5 wich I really like, but have been thinking about what I could do to make it lighter. I do not have an awful lot of cash to spend, but where would you start to strip some weight off from it? Below is a chart of all the parts I could think of. However, the real world weight is around 8,2kg, so something must be off :D

Last edited by johanalexander on Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eating trash'n riding fast

DJT21

by DJT21

Seatpost and saddle will save you more than 200g if you replace with carbon parts. My Deda Superzero seatpost is approx 190g and my Fizik Arione R1 is 165g, both were less than £50 off ebay.

Chainset and cassette are probably worth looking at. Although then you may aswell do the whole groupset to SRAM.

Pedals are heavy, but if sticking with Shimano then it's big bucks to save not much weight.

Handlebars are also heavy, but you'll only save 50g going with light alloy bars. Otherwise it's carbon for around a 100g saving but you'll have to spend quite a bit of cash. Hylix might be worth a look for a cheap option though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johanalexander

by johanalexander

DJT21 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:12 pm
Seatpost and saddle will save you more than 200g if you replace with carbon parts. My Deda Superzero seatpost is approx 190g and my Fizik Arione R1 is 165g, both were less than £50 off ebay.

Chainset and cassette are probably worth looking at. Although then you may aswell do the whole groupset to SRAM.

Pedals are heavy, but if sticking with Shimano then it's big bucks to save not much weight.

Handlebars are also heavy, but you'll only save 50g going with light alloy bars. Otherwise it's carbon for around a 100g saving but you'll have to spend quite a bit of cash. Hylix might be worth a look for a cheap option though.
Thanks for your input DJT21! Yes, saddle and seatpost are definetley something worth looking at.

I also noticed what was off with the old chart, the wheels weight were not correct.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

You can find lightweight skewers for no money, saving +/-70gr
Light inner tubes like Bontrager xxx will save you +/-100gr
Time Xpresso pedals are a great choice and light, you can now find the 'old' model for €75, they weigh 190gr.

For roughly €110 you save +/- 310gr

silvalis

by silvalis

What are Campagnolo seklers?

Is your groupset weight correct?
Chasse patate

johanalexander

by johanalexander

silvalis wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:01 am
What are Campagnolo seklers?

Is your groupset weight correct?
Its meant to be skewers, sorry.

The groupset weight is lifted from here http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/201 ... no-ultegra

silvalis

by silvalis

Ah I see it, yes, the weight is incorrect. The weight you used off that site includes 5800 pedals.

I prefer using this site https://thebikelane.com.au/2015/06/2015 ... t-weights/

Keep in mind, neither site account for cables/outers and they are all using 11-25 or 12-25 cassettes. And probably the wrong BB (bsa)?

You should probably redo your sheet with component breakdown, at least 3 things are incorrect in the total groupset weight.
Chasse patate

johanalexander

by johanalexander

silvalis wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 pm
Ah I see it, yes, the weight is incorrect. The weight you used off that site includes 5800 pedals.

I prefer using this site https://thebikelane.com.au/2015/06/2015 ... t-weights/

Keep in mind, neither site account for cables/outers and they are all using 11-25 or 12-25 cassettes. And probably the wrong BB (bsa)?

You should probably redo your sheet with component breakdown, at least 3 things are incorrect in the total groupset weight.

Thank you silvalis for your link. I will give the sheet a check soon. However, I'm having a hard time finding the correct weight for the cables. I don't want to strip the bike just to weigh them. Anyway, the groupset weight should me more correct now.

I also followed the suggestions above regarding skewers. Ordered a pair of lighter ones, and also found a Deda superzero carbon seatpost. This should help me come closer to <8kg. Not super impressive, I know, but for a 58cm "budget" bike with a 105 group I think it's quite good :)

hfx

by hfx

johanalexander wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:27 pm
I also followed the suggestions above regarding skewers. Ordered a pair of lighter ones, and also found a Deda superzero carbon seatpost. This should help me come closer to <8kg. Not super impressive, I know, but for a 58cm "budget" bike with a 105 group I think it's quite good :)
If you don't mind sharing from where did you order the Deda seatpost?

nickf

by nickf

Omni racer carbon post, depends on setback but decent savings and nice price. Been using mine for 4 years or so now, no issues.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMNI-Racer-WOR ... 2810!US!-1

KCNC Ti Skewers, Bars, Saddle.

Most of those parts can be had at a reasonable price. Solid build though, that ALR is really nice aluminium.Same weight as the Emonda S entry level carbon.

sawyer

by sawyer

As others have said, QRs, seatpost and saddle

I'd also change the chainset to Dura Ace if you are sticking with Shimano.

If you are moving to SRAM, then go Red etc.

105 is heavy. The frame and wheels are decent kit so keep them for the time being
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

johanalexander

by johanalexander

hfx wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm
johanalexander wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:27 pm
If you don't mind sharing from where did you order the Deda seatpost?
I bought it from Chain reaction cycles. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/e ... -prod84210
Mounted it a few minutes ago!

johanalexander

by johanalexander

:thumbup:
sawyer wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:12 pm
As others have said, QRs, seatpost and saddle

I'd also change the chainset to Dura Ace if you are sticking with Shimano.

If you are moving to SRAM, then go Red etc.

105 is heavy. The frame and wheels are decent kit so keep them for the time being
QRs and seatpost are being changed this or next week depending on when I get the QRs.

As for saddle, I'm not quite sure yet what to buy. I'm thinking of a Fizik Arione R3, but we´ll see.

Also looking into bars. First I need a handlebar with 40 or 42cm width since the 44 is too wide for me. I have been looking at the Pro Vibe Alloy bars. Any thoughts on them? They seem to be at a decent price point and would shave a few grams. But the main thing about getting new bars is to narrow them down, but wouldn´t mind saving a little bit of weight of course.
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... _VIBEALLOY

As for SRAM red, not an option. Too much money.
Last edited by johanalexander on Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jch3n

by jch3n

William Maxim ACS handlebar: http://www.williamscycling.com/Maxim-ACS_p_91.html

Cheaper and lighter than the Pro Vibe Alloy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johanalexander

by johanalexander

jch3n wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 pm
William Maxim ACS handlebar: http://www.williamscycling.com/Maxim-ACS_p_91.html

Cheaper and lighter than the Pro Vibe Alloy.
Looks nice! Thanks