Look Keo Blade Carbon Pedals 2018 - problems :?:

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

richard@lbrc.org

by richard@lbrc.org

Forgive if this was already discussed - searching didn't reveal any previous topic...

I have a five week old pair of the new Look Keo Carbon 2018 pedals (CroMo). They will no longer hold my cleats (Look Keo Black) properly, my cleats actually 'rattle' inside the pedals when they are clipped in. And, yes - I've tried another brand new pair of cleats.

Anyone else have the same experience, or is it just me?

The shop will happly refund them, so atleast I didn't lose any money. I emailed Look Cycles - but no reply as yet.

R.
Last edited by richard@lbrc.org on Tue May 08, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

i've got a couple pairs of the keo 2 max and am less than enthused with them. Cleat retention is subpar and there is a ton of play/wobble/creak. Tried new cleats and everything. In my experience the keo 2 max have always been sub standard.
I also have a pair of keo classic pedals on a different bike and they are much more stable, however more of a mid range pedal as opposed to the "higher end" keo 2 max. Ive been considering replacing the keo 2 max with keo blades to test them out, but may switch all my road bikes to shimano pedals and be done with that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wpccrunner wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:14 pm
but may switch all my road bikes to shimano pedals and be done with that.
You won't regret it.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Tons of people have problems with the Look cleat/pedal interface. Ditch them and get some Shimano Dura-Ace pedals. No more problems.

DOUG

by DOUG

richard@lbrc.org wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:07 pm
Forgive if this was already discussed - searching didn't reveal any previous topic...

I have a five week old pair of the new Look Keo Carbon 2018 pedals (CroMo). They will no longer hold my cleats (Look Keo Black) properly, my cleats actually 'rattle' inside the pedals when they are clipped in. And, yes - I've tried another brand new pair of cleats.

Anyone else have the same experience, or is it just me?

The shop will happly refund them, so atleast I didn't lose any money. I emailed Look Cycles - but no reply as yet.

R.
I love my Keo's, great pedalling platform, low stack, light weight and very stiff but like you have had intermittent issues with movement and creaking and recently I decided enough was enough. Here's my simple guide to trouble free Look Keo Blade pedalling.

Step 1 - Buy a pair of Garmin Vector cleats
Step 2 - Throw the standard Look cleats in the bin and then burn them
Step 3 - Profit.

Honestly I dont know WTF Look are doing selling their pedals with those absolute piles of garbage they expect you to bolt to the bottom of your shoes but the Garmin Vector cleats have solved all the rattling, creaking and general suckiness of the standard Look Keo cleats. YMMV but for $20 Its worth a try.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is it possible you guys used a lower float value on your cleats and suddenly started using a higher float cleat?

I remember when I was on look pedals and switched to 0 degree float. The foot was literally locked in the position without any movement. It was quite an amazing sensation.

Now I use time pedals and they are a lot more flimsy but they work and they are very light :lol:

/a

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 pm
Tons of people have problems with the Look cleat/pedal interface. Ditch them and get some Shimano Dura-Ace pedals. No more problems.
-this- Spring for 9100. Fantastic pedals.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

commendatore

by commendatore

Is the 9100 vs 8000 difference significant in this generation?

tabl10s

by tabl10s

I had the original version from '84, D-A "Lance" pedals and now Keo Blade 2 in Ti and Cr. No rattling for me.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Davidqld

by Davidqld

I love my keo blade Ti 2018 BUT there is a squeak from the bearings. I can’t work out how to pull the axel out and regrease it. Looks like a special tool might be needed as the design has changed quite a bit from the previous model and that’s the only one I can find instructions on how to remove.

Btw. Any dirt in the washer next the the pedal platform causes creaking but is easy to clean out.

wingguy

by wingguy

When Keo pedals squeak it's almost always the cleat. Try a tiny bit of chain oil on the pedal contact points, the wear plate, the binding and the nose hook and see what happens.

ODC

by ODC

I have the Dura Ace 9100 pedals and it can creak/squak also. With my second pair of cleats of was very bad now I'm on my third pair of cleats and they are silent again.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I wonder if the Keo 2 Max are the culprits for the excessive play/float/rattle? I have the cheaper keo classics on a different bike and they are much more acceptable. I also do not hear much complaining about keo blades have issues with creaking/excessive float.
Anyone else have thoughts on comparing the different Look pedal models?

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

I'm on my 3rd set of Look pedals and currently have 19,000 miles on a set of Carbon Blade Ti with grey cleats. Never problem clipping in or out. Never came out expectantly.

I know plenty of people with Look pedals, so I don't know why people posting here saying they are having problems.

billendk

by billendk

I have 2018 carbon ti blade, with grey cleats. No problem at all.
I come from 9000 dura ace, no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com