Lake cx 332 vs S-works 6 stiffness question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Hi Guys.

I've been riding s-works 6 and s-works sub 6 for a while. I have a 13cm wide feet and in my endless search for a shoe that fits my feet better I found the Lake CX 332 wide. I know lots of people here have tried them both, I´ve been looking for stiffness comparison in reviews and my question still remains unanswered.
Which one is the stiffest? Do they have similar stiffness?
My two concerns are about stiffness and arch support. S-works has a bit, but I think the lakes doesn't have any. Do they?

Thanks for your time. Leandro.
PS: Excuse my poor english. I am from spain :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

siim

by siim

I don't know about stiffness but can chime in regarding arch support. I used to have Specialized shoes (both road and MTB, but not S-Works models) for years and used the medium arch support insoles (blue ones I think). That was acceptable but occasionally I had sore feet or other issues.

Then I switched to Lake CX237 wide on the road and used it with the same Specialized blue insole. Works perfect! The lesson for me was: you don't need to count on the natural arch support of the shoe itself, instead you can make it fit (in terms of arch support) by using suitable insole.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

siim wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 pm
I don't know about stiffness but can chime in regarding arch support. I used to have Specialized shoes (both road and MTB, but not S-Works models) for years and used the medium arch support insoles (blue ones I think). That was acceptable but occasionally I had sore feet or other issues.

Then I switched to Lake CX237 wide on the road and used it with the same Specialized blue insole. Works perfect! The lesson for me was: you don't need to count on the natural arch support of the shoe itself, instead you can make it fit (in terms of arch support) by using suitable insole.
Hi siim. Thanks for your answer!

I use the same blue insole on my s-works and my idea has always been to do the same ;). I partially agree with you. Of course you can fix it by putting custom/differents insoles, but s-works have an actual strucure built in the sole shape to support the arch and an actual wedging of 1,5% to prevent feet collapsing because of arch flex and for valgus correction. This is way better than just using custom insoles, higher level of support, and in my experience using the blue insoles in Mavic shoes, you can't compare the results.

My first choice was actually the Bont Vaypor S in 46,5 wide. They com with arch support and Bont makes the stiffer soles out there (at least that's what I read). But I can't find them in european/spanish shops and we can't buy in the US because of taxes and fees.

Thanks!

siim

by siim

Bike24 and Wiggle are European shops and they both sell Bont.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

You can also look at the Lake branded insole which is heat moldable:

https://lakecycling.com/collections/ins ... 0797486597

A review is here: http://redkiteprayer.com/2014/11/lake-r ... 3-insoles/

I have no experience with either, but do have a set of the CX-332 on order and will most likely pick up a set of the insoles to go with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Hi Guys.

I finally got the Lakes. I don't know if they shipped the wrong one, or lake's sizing chart is not to be trusted. But I ordered the 46.5 wide and they should measure 125mm in its widest point, but I got one with 100mm instead. So I don't know if it's a shop mistake or Lake's sizing chart issue.

Before I gave them back I had the chance to test them. And I feel like they are stiffer and the s-works 6...

Thanks.