ETAP system weight vs RED mechanical

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Hi,

yes, I have searched... looking for an answer:

What is the weight difference between SRAM ETAP and RED mechanical on the bike? I mean overall system weight, i.e. bike weighed before and bike weighed after?

I have read that the difference is 40g (someone commented that ETAP made his bike "40g heavier") while others have mentioned that ETAP made their bikes lighter (VENGE, where a whole length of outer is used).

All in all, which one can be made lighter of the two? For example, if I use polymer cables or iLinks or similar with mechanical, will it be lighter than ETAP?

Thank you.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

eTap w batteries
shifters 260
FD 162
RD 237
= 659

Sram Red Mech
Shifters 280
FD 70
RD 145
= 495

Cable weights 71->151g. (102g for ilink)
https://fairwheelbikes.com/aican-bungar ... cable-kit/

eTap = heavier
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Looking back, my old bike gained just under 1/3 lb or <150g moving from Red10 w/iLinks and carbon bar clamps to eTap11.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I went from Red22 mechanical to etap. Don't have documentation anywhere to prove it, but I think I gained about 140 grams.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

My sub 5 kilo bike project begun with eTap and moved to Red 22 mechanical. I've got weights of everything and scale pictures at home. Drop me a PM so I won't forget and I'll post everything here, including individual cable weights and outers (some weird stuff, Aican Bungarus outer for gears and that Tune Bowden brake outer inner story for the brake outers. If you know what I'm talking about that weird phrase made sense :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Around 150g? SCREW THAT!

I was toying with the idea of upgrading to etap but that's definately outta the window now. I'm sub-6 now and at this point every 50 grams saved come with significant disadvantages or huge outlays, I already find it hard to live with the 170g extra that the Vector 3 pedals are costing me compared to some pimped Speedplays... They're only there cuz I can't live without double-sided power.

jih

by jih

It’s up to you to decide what your priorities are, but for me it was worth it. It’s not that much heavier and is really nice to use.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

150g is the difference between $200 crankset and $1000 crankset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

150g is like having a piss. I’ll take the hit gor front derailier shifting.

Go single sided vectra and xpedo thrust ti sl on one side. Same q factor, stack, float, etc. But cleat mechanism is different, so you need mismatched cleats.

You know your left/right balance, so one meter will be fine.