KMC quick link on a Shimano Chain: heresy ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I like to use a quick link on my chains.
I have always used KMC X10SL chains on my 10 speed setups with success.
Now I will switch to 11s this week, I want to try the Shimano HG901 chain, but still use the KMC ( 11S that is) missing link.
Anybody use this setup ? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks for the tip !! :beerchug:

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Shimano 11sp chain’s now come with their own missing link. So it’s not missing anymore. And they work really well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check for play around the link. My experience is that if there is obvious play you will quickly ovalize the inner links that the link connects together.

Ovalized inner link holes will quickly make the chain longer around the link and cause jumps/skips when it rolls off the cassette. Changing links won't help either.

If you hot wax the chain then put it closed in the wax, not open. Helps a little.

To check the condition of your chain later check both in a section without and with the link and compare the result. It should be similar.

/a
Last edited by alcatraz on Tue May 08, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

As Calnago says, Shimano now has its own 11 spd quick link. But before it was released I was using the KMC 11s link with Shimano 11spd chains with zero problems. In fact, the Shimano and KMC links are almost identical to my eye. Just beware that neither are technically re-usable, so if you remove one it is suggested to replace with a new one.

joejack951

by joejack951

I'm using SRAM 11 sp. Powerlock links with both Shimano and Campagnolo chains with no issues. I have used KMC 10 speed links with Shimano 10 speed chains for years, too.

kode54

by kode54

Bigger Gear wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:10 pm
As Calnago says, Shimano now has its own 11 spd quick link. But before it was released I was using the KMC 11s link with Shimano 11spd chains with zero problems. In fact, the Shimano and KMC links are almost identical to my eye. Just beware that neither are technically re-usable, so if you remove one it is suggested to replace with a new one.
The Shimano quick links require chain link pliers to install and remove. the KMCs do not and are not quite so difficult to install or remove. i like the new Shimano ones...at least i can tell they are ON sercurely.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's worth it to get a pair of the new (maybe not that new, but I just got some not too long ago) pliers for those links from Shimano. They work perfectly for both opening AND closing the link. I have a Park tool but it was only for opening and still doesn't work as well as the Shimano one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PsyDoc

by PsyDoc

Shimano's quick link is definitely a PITA to remove by hand. I still like to use the Connex link, which is really easy to install/uninstall by hand and I have reused them (2-3 chains) without incident...knock on wood.

LouisN

by LouisN

All right. Thanks for all the info guys :beerchug: .
Got two chains this morning.
Maybe I'll try my KMC links first before investing on another Shimano tool ....

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

LouisN wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:11 pm
Maybe I'll try my KMC links first before investing on another Shimano tool ....

You can get a set of remove/install tools (KNC made) off ebay for not much at all. And the Shimano link is very well made with nicely beveled edges. Much nicer than the KMC ones for sure.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^This... I don’t know why anyone would even consider using a non Shimano quick link on a Shimano chain anymore, now that Shimano is providing their own. The chain is such an integral part of the whole shifting system, the plate thickness, the bevels on the edges, etc etc. all play into how well all the mechanical parts interface with each other.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue May 08, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisN

by LouisN

I already have the Park tool MLP-1.2 tool, but from what I read, it doesn't seem to work that well.
We'll start from there then: Install the original link with the Park Tool....Spoil alert: New brand, never seen here, coming soon in the Gallery section. At least you know it's going to have a Shimano chain :lol:

dogrange

by dogrange

Man, tough crowd. I indiscriminately use KMc, SRaM and Wipperman quick links on shimano sram and Campy chains with no discernible effects. I also use sram shimano and Campy chains on the three drivetrins pretty indiscriminately and all works well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

FYI you can install the Shimano link by placing the chain on the big ring and the 5th cog, then rotating so the link is on the top behind the chainring, then hold the brakes and push down on the pedal to snap the link into place. I've done it a few times, zero problems. This was the SRAM Powerlock method. For removal I use the Park MLP-1.2.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Bigger Gear wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:10 pm
FYI you can install the Shimano link by placing the chain on the big ring and the 5th cog, then rotating so the link is on the top behind the chainring, then hold the brakes and push down on the pedal to snap the link into place. I've done it a few times, zero problems. This was the SRAM Powerlock method. For removal I use the Park MLP-1.2.
Unless ur on food stamps most would spend a few bucks on a tool that makes stuff infinitely easier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com