Zipp SL Sprint Stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

anyone use this stem: Zipp SL Sprint Carbon Road Stem? if so how do you like it? is it stiff?

i'm currrently using SL-70 Aero handlebar with Uno Kalloy -17degree stem. but -17 is too much drop for my neck and shoulder, but their other version -6 degree is not enough.

seems this zipp stem is -12 degree which might work, although there's a weight penality, but need something that can allow me to ride longer in my BMC TMR.

thanks.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about you use whatever angle that looks the best to you and then just put a 2-5mm spacer under the stem to adjust your bar height a tad?

A shallower angle stem will (if I'm not confused) act as a longer stem. As long as you don't go from extremes like -25 to -7 it shouldn't affect your fit too much. You might need a few mm shorter stem going shallower though is what I'm trying to say. :) Depends on how sensitive a rider you are. A guy here on the forum is looking for a 95mm stem because 100 is too long and 90 is too short.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

It's extremely stiff but not particularly light. I think my 110mm is 165g and 120mm was almost 180g. If you are a heavier rider or a strong sprinter you will notice the stiffness. Its the only stem that I've ridden that has a tangible front end stiffness, although I haven't ridden a Pro Vibe Sprint.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I've got one for review, it's well made but the only reason why I would buy one is that if I *needed* a -12 degree stem for whatever reason.

The stem looks stiff but if your stem is around 110mm long, it's not the limiting factor. There will be more flex in your bars and wheels. Perhaps the story is different in the longer lengths (130-150mm) but at least in the lengths I've tried there was no difference, even when doing big gear accelerations.

That said, the 12 degree angle is almost unique to that stem and if you need it for fit reasons the stem is well made so I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

addictR1

by addictR1

istigatrice wrote:I've got one for review, it's well made but the only reason why I would buy one is that if I *needed* a -12 degree stem for whatever reason.

The stem looks stiff but if your stem is around 110mm long, it's not the limiting factor. There will be more flex in your bars and wheels. Perhaps the story is different in the longer lengths (130-150mm) but at least in the lengths I've tried there was no difference, even when doing big gear accelerations.

That said, the 12 degree angle is almost unique to that stem and if you need it for fit reasons the stem is well made so I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

Thanks! Ordered one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

-12 is unique to Zipp
But -10 is plenty available from Easton, Pro Vibe stem, and others.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Isn't that the one Sagan races and wind sprints on? Probably stiff enough...

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Don't need to spend much. Andre Greipel is using a Deda Superzero stem and it's not expensive at all. Must be damn stiff if he's using it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Really... Greipel is using a Superzero stem? Not disputing it, just surprised as I played with a Superzero stem/bar combo recently and thought it was very, shall we say “noodle like”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

Extralite make their Hyperstem in -12, but that may not be quite the right thing if you want stiffness...

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Calnago wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:20 pm
Really... Greipel is using a Superzero stem? Not disputing it, just surprised as I played with a Superzero stem/bar combo recently and thought it was very, shall we say “noodle like”.
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/ ... ery-51557/
You must have had a leaky front tire. Lol.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... it wasn’t mine. It was creaking as well, that’s why I was testing it. Definitely needed some tightening but I’m still quite surprised Greipel uses that. A 140mm no less. I’ll take note if he’s still using it in The Tour.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

themidge wrote:Extralite make their Hyperstem in -12, but that may not be quite the right thing if you want stiffness...
I had the hyperstem before and it ate into my fork. Sold it and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

Doesn't the Specialized adjustable stem go down to -12? FSA also makes a -K-Force Light stem in -12, officially for MTB but I've seen it used on road bikes to good effect too.