speedplay pedal question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

currently i'm using a pair of old eggbeaters Ti on my road bike, but thinking to try out speedplay instead. i have road shoes, so i had to use an adapter to mount the walkable version of crankbro cleats. the downside is that the adapter cover breaks so easily and ends up being a mess.

i see they have so many different speedplay versions. Nanogram Zero is too much for me to spend, so would Zero Titanium be the next bet? or any suggestions on which one to get and tune to drop the weight?

also any hot deals on a set? i googled search but its only showing me pricing from USA site.. :(

TIA.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Here’s what I did recently to replace my old x-1 pedals with zeros. Get the regular zeros with chrome moly spindles ($130) and purchase some titanium spindles from ward ti spindles for $60 in the length of your choosing. I chose the longer version. The spindle is easy to swap out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickJHP

by NickJHP

SilentDrone wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 pm
Here’s what I did recently to replace my old x-1 pedals with zeros. Get the regular zeros with chrome moly spindles ($130) and purchase some titanium spindles from ward ti spindles for $60 in the length of your choosing. I chose the longer version. The spindle is easy to swap out.
Except that at the moment http://www.titaniumspindles.com/ don't have any Speedplay pedal spindles available. You can find Ti spindles for Speedplay on fleabay, though.
Last edited by NickJHP on Tue May 08, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

NickJHP wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:22 am
SilentDrone wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:13 pm
Except that at the moment http://www.titaniumspindles.com/ don't have any Speedplay pedal spindles available. You can find Ti spindles on fleabay, though.
Send them an email and I guarantee they will have them for you. And they will respond quickly to. This is all explained on their website. I felt it was worth a few extra bucks to get them from this US company over the less expensive options available on ebay (JL), not that there's anything wrong with that...

Rick

by Rick

Speedplay Ti are nice and light; and I see some forum members have used the aftermarket Ti spindles for a cost savings. I have never done that.
But the Speedplay Chrome-moly or Stainless are also pretty light and save quite a bit of money!

I guess I can't criticise for wanting the absolute lightest on the weight weenie forum. :)

Speedplay controls their distribution pretty tightly, so it is hard to find a significant deal on them. But that also means you can go buy them locally without worrying that you are missing a deal.

addictR1

by addictR1

well i was able to get a pair of lightly used from ebay. speedplay X1 for $132. the weight was 153g for the pair, which is much lighter than my eggbeater Ti 167g.

still debating if it's worthwhile to get JL Ti plates to drop the weight down. it's about $23 for the X series. anyone use it before? also what's the torque setting for the screws? 5nm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com