Quarq Magnet kit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

I picked up a Quarq Riken crankset to get started with a crank based power meter. Looking online, I find the Quarq magnet kit only at the Quarq store ($25 + $15 shipping / $40) or at a few places in the UK which make shipping totally impractical.

Is this not a commonly carried part since the new Quarq cranksets don't use a magnet?

Can I just use any magnet as $40 seems a bit steep? What are other retrofit options?

The bottom bracket will be BSA on my Colnago C59.

simoncx

by simoncx

I did the update on my elsa cranks and they don't need a magnet, should be the same on your riken. Before that I had a magnet glued on the chainstay, any magnet will do as long as you set it up along the lines where it shows on the crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks, I’ll check on updating it.

glepore

by glepore

Quarq eliminated the magnet requirement for Riken and Elsa in 2014 with an update-you can use the free Qualvin legacy windows program to update. I suspect that most units out in the field these days have had it done at some point.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record