Calling all crankset experts, I need your help! (Rotor 3D+ w/ BB30)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

Hello everyone who clicked on this ever so exciting title, I have a question about my new cranks.

I have a Cannondale Supersix frame with BB30 bearings already installed and spinning fine, in which I would like to install some Rotor 3D+ cranks. However, that is about as far as I've got as I'm now pretty confused by all this business with spacers and spindle lengths etc.
The 3D+ cranks have a spindle length of 92mm (I think, I couldn't find it anywhere so I measured it, perhaps inaccurately?), and BB30 shells are 68mm wide, so I need some spacers.
I think I've managed to assemble a list of the parts I will need (currently I have the frame with bearings pressed in (no shields) and the cranks):

(non-drive side)
- 0.5mm spacer
- 11.5mm spacer (cone shaped)
- bearing shield (Rotor's manual says 1.6mm width, are all BB30 bearing shields that width? I was looking at Cannondale's ones)
(drive side)
- bearing shield (see above)
- 11.5mm spacer (cone shaped)
- 0.5mm spacer*

*Rotor's manual for the 3D+ says to use this on both sides, unless there is significant drag in which case they say to remove the non-drive-side, but their spacer chart says only to use one on the drive side :noidea: .

As you can no doubt tell, this is all very confusing to someone who isn't already familiar with it, so finally my question: Does the above setup sound right? And also do I need specific bearing shields or are they all pretty much the same?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

eforce123

by eforce123

is there a specific reason you went with the rotor 3D+?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

See the build thread in my sig. for details, but in short it's light, looks good, and I got a pretty good deal. It won't be any good if I can't fit it though!

AZR3

by AZR3

When I had a 3D+ on my Evo I just used the bearing shields and the cone spacers, never used the .5mm spacers. You can use the preload adjuster to take up any slack.

morganb

by morganb

I'm running 3D+ on my Tarmac and Allez Sprint, both BB30. I run both of the cone spacers and the bearing shields but no other spacers. Another spacer actually binds the cranks, even with the preload adjust backed all the way off. I had thicker bearing shields and went down to thinner ones, I think the SRAM PF30 ones, because it was still pretty draggy on the Sprint.

morganb

by morganb

My long term plan is to run the C-Bear BB30 to Rotor bottom bracket but I am waiting til the bearings go in my Sprint and to pick up an SL6.

lewolive

by lewolive

Honnestly, as a Rotor dealer, I'll never recommend to mount a Rotor 3D+ on a true BB30 frame ! It does not makes sense to add 23mm of spacers on a crank whereas there are lighter crank with shorter spindles that will be actually very good (I mean Red BB30 looks good). So, you need 2 spacers of 11,5mm on each side and you're done. At the end you're right on smoothness, BB30 bearings are usually excellent with a Rotor crank (smooth), better than on other frame standards. But stiffness and lightness considerations suggest to find a true BB30 crank on a BB30 crank.

Rotor should produce special BB30 spindles on the new Aldhu crank, that'll change the things and would offer a very strong option for BB30 owners.

themidge

by themidge

Thanks for the replies everyone, you can always get great technical knowledge on this forum :D.
I think I'll go with just the 11.5mm spacers on both sides, and the Cannondale bearing shields as I found a thread about those which said that all BB30 parts should be interchangeable what with it having standard bearings at a standard 'depth' in the shell. If it turns out I need a 0.5mm spacer or two then I can always order them later.
@lewolive, I already have the cranks and frame so seeing as it will work, I'll stick with this set-up for the moment, even if it is a little less than optimal. If I upgrade cranks I'll make sure they're true BB30 ones, though to be honest, I'm more likely to upgrade frame than cranks which is good as the 3D+ seems to fit in almost everything.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about getting a bottom bracket with external 30mm id bearings?

/a

wingguy

by wingguy

lewolive wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm
Rotor should produce special BB30 spindles on the new Aldhu crank, that'll change the things and would offer a very strong option for BB30 owners.
Ahhhh, nope. Not unless they produce special BB30 arms, a special BB30 spider, and special BB30 spiderrings to go along with the axle. Which actually then gets more complicated than it would have been to produce a pure BB30 3D+.

themidge

by themidge

alcatraz wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 am
How about getting a bottom bracket with external 30mm id bearings?

/a
I did think about that, especially as Rotor actually makes one for the 3D+ to fit in BB30 shells. It basically looks like a normal BSA BB but press fit and a bit bigger.
The current bearings are fine, but depending on its weight, I might get one with external bearings when they wear out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com