New Time Xpro vs. Xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

Anyone riding the new Time Xpro pedals and can compare them to the Xpresso pedals?

I am wondering how big is the upgrade?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

I only have a single xpro 10 (compared to owning a few xpresso 10,12.15s....)

Xpro 10 is heavier (which I cannot tell) and has bigger contact area (which I cannot tell). However, it does not have the pointy edges, which is a welcome change (never understood why xpresso was designed that way anyways.)

Entry on feels a little more natural, but it could be me liking my-new-shiny-little-toy....
Both xpro and xpresso have been very good to my knees with plenty of float. Can't tell the difference on that.
Overall they are very similar in functionality.

The big difference for me is the price. Since the new xpro is out, xpresso pedals are heavily discounted now. I'll go with the old ones until the s the stocks are depleted...

kgt

by kgt

+1
The current discounts make xpresso a wiser choice. You can have a lighter, than xpro, pedal with practically the same performance for less.

glepore

by glepore

i'm still curious as to whether they eliminated the bushing in favor of a bearing.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

The last pair of expressos I bought had bearings so let's hope it's the same for the xpros.

Antoine

by Antoine

the quality has improved apparently : https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... me-xpro-10

TonyM

by TonyM

Not really a comparison with the Xpresso but a nice review.

They also write that the new cleats are different, more resistant.

kgt

by kgt

+1
He does not compare them with the xpresso because he has never ridden the xpresso (or any other TIME pedal). Actually all the things he likes (big platform, easy engagement, iclic mechanism etc.) are things shared by the xpresso.
IMHO the only advantage of the xpro is their smoother form, without all these edges the xpresso have. But OTOH xpro are more expensive and heavier than xpresso.

Meccanica

by Meccanica

I love my x15s and as I keep trying to get the weight down on my Xlight I could not see swapping them unless the upgrade is significant. Following this thread for sure.

octav

by octav

I have used yesterday XPRO 10 for the first time. I can't feel any difference but they seem to be more resistant.
I have ussed Xpresso 10 and 12. For the 12s, I didn't find them that resistant. I will keep them only for races for the lightest setup.
Otherwise, I can't feel the weight difference.

CrossRob

by CrossRob

Can anyone confirm whether the XPros use the same cleats as the XPressos?

In a couple of places, I've read that the XPro cleats are more durable, but in others it suggests they're the same cleat.

If they are different, are they on sale anywhere? A few pages of Google results didn't show any.

octav

by octav

Really I didn't open the cleats in the box, I will try and post a picture with them. Just used my normal shoues with Xpresso/Iclcic Cleats and they work perfect so should be the same

TonyM

by TonyM

Same shape but different material (more resistant) may be the explanation.

avispa

by avispa

glepore wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:19 pm
i'm still curious as to whether they eliminated the bushing in favor of a bearing.
I just got a pair of the XPRO 12's and examined it as much as I could. I like the new rounded edges and the fact that one can remove that ugly cover they now come with. I also noticed a "grease port", so I would think they have bearings rather than bushings. I do hope that the new plate will last longer or as long as the old one as the new one seems to have more plastic and appears more fragile.

At this point, I think the XPRESSO 12 is a great buy if on sale. It is 80 grams with the Ti spindle, while the XPRO 15 is 88 grams and the XPRO 12 94 grams. The other thing that confused me is the new cleats. On a PDF brochure I received, Time said they now have Fixed and Floating cleats. But I received the fixed cleats with my pedals. When I read the isntructions that came with the pedals, there was no mention of a fixed cleat, just "one kind of cleat".

I love Time pedals a lot but man I find them really fragile sometimes.
Attachments
TIME CLEATS.png
Last edited by avispa on Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

I saw also that Time has now fixed cleats available - additionnaly to their regular floating cleats.
It doesn't make much sense to me however to deliver the time pedals with the fixed cleats as usually the time pedals are used because of the rotation allowed etc...

I have now ordered a pair of Xpro 15 as a try for my new bike (I have the Expresso 15 on my C60 and like them - even if they do have a slight play) and when I will receive them I will give you also a feedback on these particular ones.
They are however heavier than the Expresso 15.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com