New Time Xpro vs. Xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boots2000

by boots2000

Is there a trick to prevent TIme pedals from creaking?
I have a new set of Xpro 10 pedals with new cleats- They always creak.
Is there any way to prevent that? Or is that just the nature of Time pedals?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Not sure about creaking, mine was squeaking a bit. Sprayed a bit of lubricant on the platform and smeared it around my xpresso pedals and the noise never came back again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2old4this

by 2old4this

boots2000 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:15 am
Is there a trick to prevent TIme pedals from creaking?
I have a new set of Xpro 10 pedals with new cleats- They always creak.
Is there any way to prevent that? Or is that just the nature of Time pedals?
I clean the pedals and the cleats with Goo Gone. Gets rid of the creaks...

avispa

by avispa

boots2000 wrote:Is there a trick to prevent TIme pedals from creaking?....
In the past I’ve tried many things.... talcum powder, surfboard wax, etc.
However, I have found this product to be the best:

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/s ... -lubricant

I hope it helps...

TonyM

by TonyM

avispa wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Is there a trick to prevent TIme pedals from creaking?....
In the past I’ve tried many things.... talcum powder, surfboard wax, etc.
However, I have found this product to be the best:

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/s ... -lubricant

I hope it helps...

Good recommendation! Image

I bought one bottle and applied it on the pedals and cleats and the noise I had in the right pedal/ cleat is gone !! ImageImage

Let’s see now how long it stays quiet.

avispa

by avispa

TonyM wrote: Let’s see now how long it stays quiet.
On my pedals/cleats it lasts a very long time. I have only had to reapply it if I get caught in the rain or if I wash the bike and the pedals get wet.

Good luck!

TonyM

by TonyM

avispa wrote:
TonyM wrote: Let’s see now how long it stays quiet.
On my pedals/cleats it lasts a very long time. I have only had to reapply it if I get caught in the rain or if I wash the bike and the pedals get wet.

Good luck!
Good to hear as the bottle is not that big and the pricing not that cheap. But that’s all relative.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

CrossRob wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 am
Can anyone confirm whether the XPros use the same cleats as the XPressos?

In a couple of places, I've read that the XPro cleats are more durable, but in others it suggests they're the same cleat.

If they are different, are they on sale anywhere? A few pages of Google results didn't show any.
I have just picked up a pair of Xpro 10 pedals and also bought a extra set of cleats.

The cleats that came with the pedals are noticeably different. The underside (the side that mates with the shoe sole) of the cleat is differently constructed with what looks like different material down the center of the cleat. The toe on the pedal supplied cleats is also wider than the older version of the IClic cleats I got. Another difference is two little bumps on either side of the cleat just in front of the rear bolt slots on the new ones vs the shallow pyramid shapes knobs on the old. The new cleats also have a 'L' or 'R' printed on each cleat just below the front bolt slot. The older cleats don't have that. The Q factor is widened by mounting the 'R' cleat on the left shoe and vice versa.

The new cleats are also wider. I measured the old at 56mm across the widest section across the rear cam. The new cleats measure 59mm wide at that same spot.

In the pics I've included, the new cleats that came with the Xpro 10s are on the right.

Edit: To be sure, the older Iclic cleats will work fine with the Xpro pedals but the cleats supplied with the pedals are different in shape and dimension but do function the same.
Attachments
Time Iclic  - Xpro vs Xpresso 1.JPG
Time Iclic  - Xpro vs Xpresso 2.JPG
Time Iclic  - Xpro vs Xpresso 3.JPG
Time Iclic  - Xpro vs Xpresso 4.JPG
Last edited by BdaGhisallo on Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

avispa wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:30 pm
glepore wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 2:19 pm
i'm still curious as to whether they eliminated the bushing in favor of a bearing.
I just got a pair of the XPRO 12's and examined it as much as I could. I like the new rounded edges and the fact that one can remove that ugly cover they now come with. I also noticed a "grease port", so I would think they have bearings rather than bushings. I do hope that the new plate will last longer or as long as the old one as the new one seems to have more plastic and appears more fragile.

At this point, I think the XPRESSO 12 is a great buy if on sale. It is 80 grams with the Ti spindle, while the XPRO 15 is 88 grams and the XPRO 12 94 grams. The other thing that confused me is the new cleats. On a PDF brochure I received, Time said they now have Fixed and Floating cleats. But I received the fixed cleats with my pedals. When I read the isntructions that came with the pedals, there was no mention of a fixed cleat, just "one kind of cleat".

I love Time pedals a lot but man I find them really fragile sometimes.
Are you sure you have the fixed cleats? The reason I ask is that the normal 10deg float cleats supplied with the Xpros look like the fixed cleats in that the toe is wider than the traditional Iclic cleat supplied with the Xpresso pedals. The new fixed cleats have the words 'fixed cleats' written on the body of the cleat just behind the front bolt slot.

avispa

by avispa

BdaGhisallo wrote:Are you sure you have the fixed cleats? The reason I ask is that the normal 10deg float cleats supplied with the Xpros look like the fixed cleats in that the toe is wider than the traditional Iclic cleat supplied with the Xpresso pedals. The new fixed cleats have the words 'fixed cleats' written on the body of the cleat just behind the front bolt slot.
No "FIXED CLEAT" words on mine, so I should have the ones with float.

I am wondering if anyone can order the pedals with fixed cleats or if they all come with the floating pedals and the fixed cleats have to be ordered separately...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

avispa wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:43 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:Are you sure you have the fixed cleats? The reason I ask is that the normal 10deg float cleats supplied with the Xpros look like the fixed cleats in that the toe is wider than the traditional Iclic cleat supplied with the Xpresso pedals. The new fixed cleats have the words 'fixed cleats' written on the body of the cleat just behind the front bolt slot.
No "FIXED CLEAT" words on mine, so I should have the ones with float.

I am wondering if anyone can order the pedals with fixed cleats or if they all come with the floating pedals and the fixed cleats have to be ordered separately...
Almost 100% certain that the fixed cleats are after market only.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Any more feedback the the Xpro's especially with regard to the bearings? Are they holding up and still smooth?

avispa

by avispa

Wingnut wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:47 pm
Any more feedback the the Xpro's especially with regard to the bearings? Are they holding up and still smooth?
Two months (2300 miles) of solid use on my XPRO 12's and zero issues. I've done also different kinds of workouts on them: intervals, sprint, hill climbs, etc. I find them a bit more solid and comfortable than the Xpresso. I like the new platform size as well... I confirmed the cleats from the Xpresso work well with these pedals too...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

avispa wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:52 pm
Wingnut wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:47 pm
Two months (2300 miles) of solid use on my XPRO 12's and zero issues. I've done also different kinds of workouts on them: intervals, sprint, hill climbs, etc. I find them a bit more solid and comfortable than the Xpresso. I like the new platform size as well... I confirmed the cleats from the Xpresso work well with these pedals too...
Still working well for you? How are the cleats holding up?