Q: How light is too light?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Wow, enough to put me off this cassette which was on the shopping list.

Were the smaller sprockets still rideable? When I broke the 3rd largest cog on a DA9000 cassette, I was able to get home since the cassette itself was still sitting on the freehub solidly.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

nickf

by nickf

What's the rear carrier do? Is it not splined for the freehub body? Just a slip fit floating round ring or something?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I would not say the cassette was still rideable - and didn't even attempt. The carrier on the Uno is very different from Shimano, with the entire cassette being one piece (only the lockring is separate out of the box).

Yes, the rear carrier just floats around the splines. It does not engage any of them.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Will be great if you can get Rotor's attention on this - maybe they might do a recall instead of doing a Shitmano move.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

FreaK

by FreaK

If they just splined the aluminium section they'd probably be able to get away with that absurdly thin section bridge between cogs.
It also looks like the bridge is not quite low enough, looks like the chain is touching already.

Honestly, i can't imagine what their excuse was for not tieing that side to the freehub body. That's pretty ridiculous.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That the dome itself failed is surprising...I wonder if this was truly a fluke / manufacturing defect.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm not sure I'd be willing to find out if this was just a fluke. I don't really feel there's a practical reason to not have the rear splined. How much weight could it add? There is potential for A LOT of force on a cassette (I was just rolling out of my driveway - imagine an uphill sprint!) and to rely on very little interaction with the freehub splines on the front and - I dunno, friction(?) - on the rear is nuts. Honestly, not even something I was really concerned with before purchasing. Installing, I got a little skeptical. 10 minutes later...

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Imaking20, did you torque it enough ? 40nm is pretty high and friction spreads stress.

kode54

by kode54

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:58 am
I just read Shimano's response to the re-design of the DA cassette. Too funny. Japanese's way of doing business is to never admit fault. DA's cassette problem is well documented and yet they refuse to take blame. I find the following line quite funny...yeah, a creak is not a noise, lol.
Nick Murdick Shimano Lead Technical Instructor wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:28 pm
Of course, if the joint between the carrier and the cog starts to fail it will make noise but that’s different from a creak.
my failure(s) on two cassettes happened where the mid group of cogs are riveted together. the rivets were sheared off with only one holding it...had bad shifting prior to failure and because of the missing rivets, the 16T cog snapped and broke in half.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Imaking20 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:47 pm
Yes, the rear carrier just floats around the splines. It does not engage any of them.
Can you tell if aluminium carrier is bolted or riveted to the steel part? If it's bolted, the design enables a cool DIY opportunity with right tools (i.e. a local chainring manufacturer with CNC) to fix the missing splines issue, extend the cassette range or even add an additional overhanging cog or two if you have a suitable shifter (custom indexed, XShifter-like or friction).

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Rivets.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

They sure look like torx screws in your first pic.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Eh, you're right, it's torx.

Personally, trying to find someone to do that work - or even doing it myself if I had the resources - is not interesting for what is about the most expensive cassette on the market. It should work out of the box...

gurk700

by gurk700

Sorry to revive old thread but thank you for saving me $350.
If anything this should be a sticky.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I see a design flaw with the Uno cassette. On the Sram cassette there's a steel comparession tube in the middle of the cassette. The Uno lacks a compression tube/sleeve. When you tighten the lock ring it will compress the two ends of the cassette and put a lot of pressure on the thin aluminum spider. This is the reason why Sram said specifically not to remove the sleeve as some people have done with some first generation cassettes. I think the Sram sleeve is now non-removable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com