Cassette lockring tool question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I'm looking for a quality cassette lockring tool that has a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive on it so that I can use a ratchet or torque wrench for installation and removal. Does anyone know of one that offers that? It appears that the park tool cassette lockring tool doesn't and can only be used with an open end wrench.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orlok

by Orlok

CallumRD1 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:42 pm
I'm looking for a quality cassette lockring tool that has a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive on it so that I can use a ratchet or torque wrench for installation and removal. Does anyone know of one that offers that? It appears that the park tool cassette lockring tool doesn't and can only be used with an open end wrench.
Take a visit to your locale bike shop, they will have it! :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

kode54

by kode54

depends if Shimano or Campy. the Shimano branded one has a 1/2" drive for wrenches.

i use the Abbey Tools Crombie that has Campy on one side and Shimano on the other. one of my best tools.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

Or try a socket (or crows foot wrench). Depending on your torque wrench, you may also need an adapter.

Park Tool BBT-5/FR-11, 1” socket, 3/8” to 1/2” adapter:

+1 Crombie tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

dmp

by dmp

I use what Manekinico suggested, but of course you will need a chain whip, too.

RussellS

by RussellS

Appears to be confusion here. As in CallumRD1 the author does not know how wrenches or sockets work. Go with what ManekiNico says. Both the Park Shimano and Campagnolo lockring tools fit into a 1" socket. Put the 1" socket onto your 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet torque wrench.

kdawg

by kdawg

I recently bought this one - good value and would fit a socket or fits my torque wrench directly (1/2” hole I think).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IceToolz-Casse ... B0028N57UU
I'm left handed, if that matters.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

RussellS wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:36 pm
Appears to be confusion here. As in CallumRD1 the author does not know how wrenches or sockets work. Go with what ManekiNico says. Both the Park Shimano and Campagnolo lockring tools fit into a 1" socket. Put the 1" socket onto your 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet torque wrench.
There is no confusion here; I know exactly how wrenches and sockets work. (I'm halfway through building a Pitts S-1S biplane at the moment so I definitely know my way around a workshop!) I am looking for a cassette lockring tool that has a square drive recess in it so that I can attach it to a wrench directly. As suggested above, I could use a 1" socket on the park lockring tool, but that wasn't the solution I was looking for. It is a good suggestion, though. Functionally the two solutions are very similar, but in my opinion the single tool is superior, hence why I was looking for one.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

kdawg wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm
I recently bought this one - good value and would fit a socket or fits my torque wrench directly (1/2” hole I think).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IceToolz-Casse ... B0028N57UU
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that model.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Cyclus do 3/8" tools in both Campag and Shim/RAM patterns.

1/ Only use them for fitting lockrings. They don't offer really good purchase.
2/ Use with a beam or electronic torque wrench as the clicker-type ones do not work well with serrated lockrings.

Putting a tool into a socket and then putting the socket onto a torque wrench is for [removed - please keep this PG]

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This topic raises my eyebrows a bit. I have never used a torque wrench on a cassette lockring, just a crombie. My cassette lockrings are always secured by feel and i have never had one come off.
I’m sure it is pretty cool to have everything torqued to spec, but in this case i don’t see the need.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Attermann

by Attermann

Frankie - B wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:36 am
This topic raises my eyebrows a bit. I have never used a torque wrench on a cassette lockring, just a crombie. My cassette lockrings are always secured by feel and i have never had one come off.
I’m sure it is pretty cool to have everything torqued to spec, but in this case i don’t see the need.
Shimano doesn’t mind, the way the 11 is designed, but Campagnolo, you can compress it too much

ipaul

by ipaul

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collecti ... et-crombie

Not cheap but with such specific requirements most things are not.
:P

F45

by F45

Had the same desire, but what I did was tack weld a cheap adjustable wrench to my cheap cassette lockring tool. For torque I put my hook scale in the hole at the end of the and pull to a pre determined value.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

@CallumRD1, never presumed that you might not "know how wrenches or sockets work," just thought you might have overlooked a possible solution. Lord knows I do it all the time. Sorry for not answering your question.

You won't get an argument from me that a direct wrench/tool connection will always be better than wrench/socket/tool. I'll admit my own setup is a little wobbly what with tolerances being on the loose side.

And yeah, @Frankie - B, torquing the lockring is probably overkill. It's more a question of "Well, since I'm already torquing stuff down…"

Clearly, I need to rethink my way of doing things as it seems it's not only unnecessary but it also impugns my manhood… :?
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.