Campagnolo Ultratorque on Tarmac SL6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

I know that the general topic of Campagnolo and Specialized BBs has been discussed before a few times, but it's a fiendishly confusing subject especially as there seem to be different types of Specialized OSBBs..

Just want to know what the options are for fitting Campagnolo ultratorque to the new Specialized S-Works SL6 in particular. Thinking about buying this frameset but confusion over this issue has almost put me off..

I've read that there are adaptors such as C-Bear available, some of which (C-Bear?) include their own bearings and some of which (Praxis?) allow mounting of the ultratorque cranks with the Campagnolo bearings (I have the CULTs).

I've also read that the current carbon Specialized OSBBs come with an aluminium sleeve fitted that effectively turns it into BB30. If that's the case, can't the standard Campagnolo BB30 cups simply be used?

I'm also confused about whether if a 3rd party adaptor such as C-Bear is used this involves removal of the alu sleeve first, or if it fits into that.

And finally (and for me moderately importantly), what about weight? A big selling point of the S-Works SL6 over cheaper versions is a 100-200g weight saving. If the BB adaptor weighs that much it sort of defeats the purpose.. I haven't managed to find weights for many of these adaptors (especially where it is explained which parts are needed). I think I saw 140ish grams somewhere.. seems a lot, but if that includes the bearings and doesn't necessitate fitting of the Campagnolo cups then 70g can be subtracted and it doesn't seem so horrendous...

Concise version: what's the lightest solution for fitting ultratorque to the SL6 and how much does it weigh? (also hoping it won't creak..)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com