Chainring/BB help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfghbiker

by sfghbiker

New to building up a lightweight road bike. Some assistance needed re. chainring selection. I have a c60 with sram red etap 50/34 crankset. I was considering switching to praxis rings as they have worked well for me in the past. not sure if this will net me significant weight savings. Are there other more lightweight options that have acceptable performance with electronic shifting? also thoughts on a good BB for this frame/crank combo. thank you, newb

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I would not sacrifice shifting performance for weight. Probably best to stay on the SRAM rings. In terms of BB, CeramicSpeed now has a dedicated threaded BB for the Colnago Threadfit 82.5 standard. This eliminates the alloy cups and then having a BB pressed into said cups. It should be lighter. But certainly not inexpensive!

As a C60 owner, I have to say this is probably not the best bike to try to go full weight weenie on, IMO. It is not a lightweight platform to begin with. Bikes like the Trek Emonda SLR and Scott Addict are 300-400 grams lighter before any parts are mounted. I say enjoy the C60 and spec it with nice parts don't obsess over its weight because it's already heavy to start.

sfghbiker

by sfghbiker

Thanks for the input. Yes certainly not trying to go super light but would like to be conscious of my choices. I wasn't sure what the consesus was on lightweight chainrings for electronic shifting.