Raised bar vs spacers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

If you are given a choice to choose between a 25mm raised bar, like SWORKS Aerofly, or to add 25mm spacers underneith the stem, what would you choose? Aesthetically which one would look better?

Assuming money is not an issue ($300 raised bar vs $0 spacers :D ).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

Spacers for sure. I'd take raised bar if fork was preiously cut very short and it's still not enough. (was considering for that reason, but I'd rather work on flexibility).
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

moonoi

by moonoi

I went with slammed stem and the Aerofly riser bar, looks much better on my Allez Sprint than the spacers I had previously

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

They're both pretty unsightly, and it can depend on the frame, but I'd go for the aerofly. It's probably stiffer than a stack of spacers too.

bilwit

by bilwit

I'd go spacers BUT if your preferred stem angle is already quite low ( like -17 or whatever) then you can just use a -6 instead and save some spacers..

survivor

by survivor

moonoi wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:10 pm
I went with slammed stem and the Aerofly riser bar, looks much better on my Allez Sprint than the spacers I had previously

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
If you can help to share some pics that would be great!

TonyM

by TonyM

In terms of aesthetics neither the raised bar nor the spacers :smartass:

If you do need some spacers because you have taken a very small frame like the Pros do, then maximum 0.5cm spacers.

AJS914

by AJS914

No spacers is impossible for most people if they are buying a racing bike unless they size up on the frame. The other option is to buy an endurance frame with a longer head tube. Most of us aren't as flexible as pros and trying to look pro is not worth the compromises IMO.

TonyM

by TonyM

The OP asked in terms of aesthetics...

The Pros go with extremely small sizes. Hence sometimes they have also spacers (like Froome). The taller they are the more chances they will have some spacers. As they can choose among many sizes. The shorter they are the less chances they have spacers

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

2.5cm worth of bearing cap and spacers is more aesthetically pleasing to me than a riser bar. Most stock bearing caps are already 9-15mm.

PsyDoc

by PsyDoc

Personally, I'd go with the 25mm raised bar over the spacers. I've got back into cycling after being hit by an SUV 5 years ago that broke my back in two places, but I don't think two 15" titanium rods and assorted screws add much weight. But, I recall something going around about, given the same height, how spacers don't support the carbon steerer as well as a longer headtube would. So, the fewer the spacers, the better. I don't know if this holds true or not. Aesthetically, the 25mm raised bar looks a little weird at first blush, but it would probably grow on you. It reminds me of a bird of prey swooping in on its prey right before the talons sink in. Damn...now I'm starting to like it.

Rick

by Rick

That "riser bar" has a "unique factor" going for it! :)
I think it is sort of ugly, but then again, who really cares about ugly? Just get so far ahead of the whiners that you can't even hear them! :lol:

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I have never considered 2 cm of spacers to be too much, or to look ugly. I guess I’m in the minority. Personally, I’d go with the spacers over the riser bars.

Something that was mentioned by others that you didn’t include is the angle of your stem. I think having the stem at -7 is more aesthetically pleasing than having at +7. For looks I’d rather have -7 with 2cm of spacers than +7 with no spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiery

by Fiery

I would say it depends on the bike and stem as well. An aero frame with a beefy stem will look better with the riser bar, while spacers will look better on a more traditional, slimmer frame with a slim stem.

TonyM

by TonyM

Fiery wrote:I would say it depends on the bike and stem as well. An aero frame with a beefy stem will look better with the riser bar, while spacers will look better on a more traditional, slimmer frame with a slim stem.
THIS!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com