Pioneer dual sided power meter setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bouldersport

by bouldersport

I've recently installed a dual sided Pioneer power meter without installing the magnets. It works fine for the most part, but I wanted to get opinions on improving performance. I'm not really interested in additional metrics - my Garmin 800 doesn't have very detailed power metrics anyway.

So the main issue for me is the number of revolutions required before the PM starts sending data after I stop pedalling for a few seconds. I'm seeing that it takes between 5 and 13 revolutions before the Garmin fields populate again. (Seems like an easy firmware update to me to fix this) Pioneer says I should use the magnets, but in their brief reply to my question don't quantify the expected revs required to start sending data.

If you're using the magnets, do you see quicker response, or is this just the way the PMs function. Also, has anyone tried using the K Edge chain catcher with the SRM magnet with the Pioneer PM? If anyone has a spare black RH cover, I'd be interested in picking up one.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I use pioneer in dual power meter mode with magnets and I can wake up the PM with just one pedal stroke. Also the fields populate - I'd say - instantly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I believe the magnets are used only if you have Pioneers head unit.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

tomee

by tomee

has anyone used the pioneer in dual Ant + able to get good data from their garmin? ie left + ride balance and power

nemeseri

by nemeseri

tomee wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:40 am
has anyone used the pioneer in dual Ant + able to get good data from their garmin? ie left + ride balance and power
I use mine like this for more than a year now. Pretty happy with it. I do use it with magnets though.

tomee

by tomee

nemeseri wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 am
tomee wrote:
I use mine like this for more than a year now. Pretty happy with it. I do use it with magnets though.
i used to run mine in Private Ant+ with the pioneer headunit to see all the pioneer metrics until the headunit died and i split them up to be individual power meters for two bikes.

I've now put them into dual ANT+ mode but have yet to test it with a wahoo elemnt headunit.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

tomee wrote:
Yep, have for the past 18 months or so with Garmin 520 then 820. No magnets, all good. Don't ask me what process I used to set it up magnet-less as I can't remenber, sorry. I do remeber it was a PITA.......

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

tomee

by tomee

beanbiken wrote:
tomee wrote:
Yep, have for the past 18 months or so with Garmin 520 then 820. No magnets, all good. Don't ask me what process I used to set it up magnet-less as I can't remenber, sorry. I do remeber it was a PITA.......

BB
Iirc one of the firmware updates allowed them to run magnetless.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com