THM Ulna handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Now this looks nice!

Claimed 149g at 42cm wide, and with a 110kg weight limit. As seen today on IG. I'd seen the new logo on some cranks and quite like the new branding.

Looks like the partnership with 3T is coming to fruition with this bar. The coating in the clamp area looks just like a 3T, and I like the contrasting gloss/matte look. No more info at this time, but I already want it. No doubt this is going to be €500+ which rules me out unless I break my AX.

20180502_115520.png
20180502_115541.png
20180502_115446.png
Last edited by 4ibanez on Wed May 02, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

I'll have to take your word for it that it's THM, that logo is totally illegible :D.
Looks very nice, you can't go wrong with carbon weave. Will probably be the same shape as the Ergonova?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Yes, I think 3T's lightest bars are the Ergosum and Ergonova. This seems to have flat, wide(ish) tops, so I would probably also conclude it's an Ergonova copy. Makes sense from a propositional standpoint as I think the Ergonova is their most popular bar.

The weight is level with the TLO oversize, but with a higher weight limit. With a Darimo road bar coming too, will Schmolke up the ante?!

coriordan

by coriordan

It says THM all over it on the bottom pic

sychen

by sychen

3t have the superergo Ltd which seems similar in weight and shape.
Make sense if they worked together.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by sychen on Wed May 02, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

TBH, don't see any reason to choose this over Schmolke unless you really want all the cockpit to be from the same manufacturer.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Already available to buy from the THM website for €500. That release flew under the radar! Seems like you can get better prices on the Schmolke bars at the moment though.

Here's the specs for the Ulna bar:
20180502_133046.png

CLEAR

by CLEAR

I quite like the top shape...hoping will be similar to 3T ergo series. Too bad the stem doesn't match to well in terms of design

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Why get it over a schmolke bar? - flare would be one reason. I like flare, otherwise i smash my radius, not ulna, on the tops when sprinting.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Haha... 1000 Euro for THM stem and bar.
What a joke :mrgreen:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

THM uses a system weight - rider plus bike max is 110kg
Schmolke uses rider only weight ranges that allow weight classes to be chosen up to 110kg.
Weight is in the same class, bar top shape similar, reach is within 1 mm of each other and the Schmolke gives a few mm more on the drop.
Schmolke saves €85 and has no flare.
So, the only really clear reason to choose the THM over the Schmolke is indeed a bit of flare on the drops - and the Ulna needs that flare with such a shallow drop of 119mm (even less than the 3T Ernova).

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

I've got a Schmolke handlebar 170g which I use with an extralite stem at 88g. That setup cost me an arm and a leg in my grand scheme of things.

To that extent, i can't stop being blown away by that Bontrager XXX integrated combo, which I bought for less than half of what the Schmolke and Extralite cost me and weighs 220g for a 42cm, 100mm.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

DWatkinsBSB wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 pm
I've got a Schmolke handlebar 170g which I use with an extralite stem at 88g. That setup cost me an arm and a leg in my grand scheme of things.

To that extent, i can't stop being blown away by that Bontrager XXX integrated combo, which I bought for less than half of what the Schmolke and Extralite cost me and weighs 220g for a 42cm, 100mm.
Does the Bontrager XXX integrated combo feel and perform similar to your extralite stem and Schmolke bars? Was stiffness comparable between the two setup?
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Vuong05 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Does the Bontrager XXX integrated combo feel and perform similar to your extralite stem and Schmolke bars? Was stiffness comparable between the two setup?

I have not noticed much flex in the Bontrager XXX bar/stem personally. The huge flare near the center does a pretty good job at stiffening it up. I have two issues with the XXX.

1) Blendr is convenient if Bontrager happens to make the correct mounts for your accessories. Otherwise the 3D-printed ones on Shapeways are a bit of a lottery. The Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT mounts are pretty decent, but the Garmin long/low mount has issues with the quarter-turn interface. I ended up combining the official Bontrager high mount + GoPro knuckle mount to create a long/low mount.

2) The transition/bend from the tops to the ramps is way too square, it's almost a right angle. It's not very comfortable for people who like to rest their palms on that bend occasionally. Also it makes wrapping some less stretchy bar tapes like Supacaz a little tricky. You end up with wrinkles/folds on one edge of the tape. Luckily for me, Lizard Skins is very stretchy and doesn't have this problem.
Attachments
IMG_3768.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Anyone tried this bar yet?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;