Fizik Arione Large - anyone tried?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AW84

by AW84

Anyone ridden one of these? Does the extra width make it feel a more similar to an Antares? I have the flexibility for an Arione and ride an aggressive position, but have never actually tried one. Concerned a standard Arione is too narrow for me, but a wider one might do the trick. I currently ride an Antares, but for some reason my butt has suddenly stopped liking it. Hoping for some input before an expensive experiment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

The flare is still less aggressive than an Antares so you won’t get the feeling of pushing back against a shelf, if that makes sense.

I’m pretty small so haven’t used one myself, but recommended it to a bigger (but not BIG) colleague and he said the extra support was noticeable and very comfy.

AW84

by AW84

wingguy wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm
The flare is still less aggressive than an Antares so you won’t get the feeling of pushing back against a shelf, if that makes sense.

I’m pretty small so haven’t used one myself, but recommended it to a bigger (but not BIG) colleague and he said the extra support was noticeable and very comfy.
So it still has less flat area than the Antares? Haven't been able to find a picture of one from the front at eye level to guage it's profile.

I once tried an Arione VSX and it felt like sitting on a piece of pipe. Not sure if it was too narrow or the profile too rounded versus an Antares, but my nether regions were holding my weight instead of my sit bones.

naylor343

by naylor343

I have always been a classic Flite genuine gel user at 142mm width. I had constantly searched for something different as they became harder and harder to find. A few years back I used a normal width arione on and off for a few months. I wanted to like it so much, and did initially each time I fitted it, but, for me the narrow sit bones spacing meant there was too much soft tissue contact and resulting numbness. This year a guy on here was selling two factory custom made carbon R1 ariones in large. One was new and boxed and for £90, less than 50% of a custom saddle build cost, I gave it a go. The classic Flite saddles I had have never seen the light of day again. The large ariones is everything I wanted the older narrow on to be, perfect (for me). The small difference in extra width was just what was needed to remove that slight over pressure I had before.

Lemond75

by Lemond75

I’d concur with naylor343 in that the Arione Large is a very comfy saddle.

I’ve had all sorts of problems trying to find a comfy saddle over the years, having tried 20 or more, and having several bike fits and saddle pressure mapping sessions. I borrowed a Large Arione and Antares at the same time, and whilst I didn’t try the Antares for very long, the available sitting area at the back of the Arione is a fraction wider. If I recall correctly, the edges of the Antares slope off ever so slightly more than the Arione, something which for me made it less comfortable. The other factor is that the padding on the Arione seems to be a bit thicker than that found on the Antares, making the Arione the only saddle I’ve never had sit bone soreness from.

The only downside that I’ve experienced with the Arione so far is numbness after a 3 hour turbo session, and the fact that it doesn’t encourage me to roll my pelvis forwards as much as saddles with cut outs; something which helps me engage my gluteus far more. However, I did try the Arione Open briefly and hated it - the padding is far harder and it was nowhere near as comfortable.

naylor343

by naylor343

Lemond75 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 pm

The only downside that I’ve experienced with the Arione so far is numbness after a 3 hour turbo session,
I get the same after three hours, but it's my brain not my nether regions :wink:

dim

by dim

I've tried loads of saddles (cause I have owned lots of bikes) and my best saddle (fitted on both my bikes), is a Brooks Cambium C17 Carved (not light, but a saddle that works for me for long distance) ... the trick is to set it proper .... if it's uncomfortable for you, adjust the position in small increments till you find the 'sweet spot'

my 2nd best was a Fizik Airone Wing Flex that I had on my Specialized S-Works .... very comfortable for long rides

my worst: Charge Spoon (lots of very good reviews, but it just did not work for me)

For leather ones, the Gilles Berthoud Aravis was super comfy (I've also had leather Brooks, but the Gilles Berthoud was better for me
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You should give ISM PN 3.0 (or even 3.1) a try.
It's by far the most comfortable saddle i have used.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

any ideas why you've suddenly stopped being comfortable on it? Have you changed your position on the bike?

might be worth figuring that out before spending alot of money on different saddles
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

AW84

by AW84

onemanpeloton wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 am
any ideas why you've suddenly stopped being comfortable on it? Have you changed your position on the bike?

might be worth figuring that out before spending alot of money on different saddles
The aggressive position has my pelvis rotated forward, so my sit bones aren't square on the saddle like an up-high position would...more like catching the front edge of the sit bones at an angle, while my nether regions kind of get into the nose of the saddle a little. Because of this I tend to get saddle sores in the 'taint' area, a little forward of the sit bones. It hasn't been a problem in the past and I haven't changed the fit or any variable, but seem to be having more trouble with the saddle and the position of late. I know the Arione is designed more for this kind of low position, but not sure my sit bones are narrow enough for it nor if the more rounded (side to side) profile would work with the angle my pelvis is at. That said, I can certainly see where a super flat (front to rear) saddle would work well.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

AW84, sounds just as i would describe it.
I like ISM PN 3.0, but for a more upright position there are some issues i have noted when riding every day.
Strangely when looking around (years and years), i never find a saddle that has a wide nose with cut out, aswell as being flat.
I don't even find so called flat saddles being flat. I also hate saddles which sag in the middle due to flex.
It makes up for problems...

I think perhaps i should try the Large Arione. But i agree, a flatter nose (on top) instead of a rounded, had probably been better.
Regarding the VSX saddles, they are horrible. Pure pain!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com