Can anyone riding a Wilier Zero.7 provide a quick review?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sib

by sib

There's a Wilier Zero.7 on sale at my LBS.
It looks fantastic.

However, I don't know anyone who rides one, and I'd like to get some real-life feedback before taking the plunge. In particular, I've read in a couple of reviews that it lacks stiffness.

Can any owners let me know what they think are the good and bad points about the frame/bike?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KotP

by KotP

tabl10s

by tabl10s

sib wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:30 am
There's a Wilier Zero.7 on sale at my LBS.
It looks fantastic.

However, I don't know anyone who rides one, and I'd like to get some real-life feedback before taking the plunge. In particular, I've read in a couple of reviews that it lacks stiffness.

Can any owners let me know what they think are the good and bad points about the frame/bike?

Thanks!
I have one that's a 2013 that I purchased as an NOS. From what I've read, the frame was changed in 2015 to thinner tubes and to be a touch lighter, aerodynamic and stiffer. My frame came in@822g and is comfortable and not twitchy. The fork on later versions are straight and the frame has internal routing.

I'm not a powerful rider and can't really comment on absolute stiffness as I'm coming from a '98 Trek carbon and a 14-year layoff. For me, the best I've ridden so far.
Last edited by tabl10s on Thu May 30, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

sib

by sib

tabl10s wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:19 pm
For me, the best I've ridden so far.
Thanks for the feedback!

You say you're coming from a 14-year old Trek - but from your signature you appear to have an Orca OMR as well?
In your opinion, how does the Wilier compare..??

tabl10s

by tabl10s

The Orca is more aero while the Wilier is lighter. One utilizes 60-ton carbon and has vibration reducing film between layers(IIRC)and other 800 series Toray

Like them both.
Last edited by tabl10s on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).

sib

by sib

@tabl10s
And now you're in the process of building an Rca and F8..!!
Thanks for the response - much appreciated.

Anyone else have feedback?

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I had one temporarily between the death of my Addict and while waiting for a Cannondale Evo Nano Black.

The Zero.7 was very nicely built and very nice looking. Coming from the Addict I also appreciated nice touches like the alloy protection over the dropouts and the sturdy FD mount.

But it was overweight.

Ride wise it was pretty nice but not as agressive / pin sharp as the Addict or the Evo. Particularly noticeable on fast downhill corners, just took more effort to get it to turn in, almost like having understeer. But it wasn't a problem, you just needed to get used to it and allow for it on corner entry.

Most of the above should not come as a surprise for an Italian super bike.

Hope that helps.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I've been riding one for the last year...

Certainly very stiff on the bottom bracket area. Not unexpected, since it has a bb386 (very large I should say.) The chainstays are weird looking (they are asymmetric). I knew this already from the pictures and the web reviews, but in person, they really are unusual. They are not particularly thin for a lightweight bicycle. On the contrary, they are quiet hefty looking. On the drive side, the chainstay really slopes down. I guess, it is done for increased BB area stiffness. It definitely works for the climbs (definitely less flexy then Guru Photon HL. On par with Storck Fascenario and Cannondale SuperSix), and sprints (very responsive for me.) Though keep in mind, I am a smallish rider.

On the front, something makes it not as comfy on descents as the other bikes I have. Well, comfy is not the right word, I do not know what it is; I just have to do turns on descents with a little wider arc to feel comfortable at higher speeds. ) This doesn't make it a bad bike. On the contrary, descents are very enjoyable with this bike.

Cable routing is simple and very nicely tucked in. I have Campy EPS so both cables (brake and EPS) go in to the frame from the left side. Fishing for those cables was very simple ( I don't think they have any internal guides for the brake cables. Still, there is no need for an internal guide since the holes are very large.) One word of caution, do not lose the flat metal piece covering mechanical cable hole on the down tube. A new one is $120 shipped (wonderful Italian excessive pricing...)

I have ridden the bike only on asphalt roads. It really mutes the road noise. Very very comfy is the right word to use here. On cobblestone, it could be a totally different story....

On the looks, it is typical Italian; gorgeous looking. If you are a Campy EPS fan, I highly recommend getting the red Campy mechanical hood covers (I've used red sugru to make them fit and fill the gaps...) and red accented THM Fibulas (they used to be a custom order thing from THM.) I think they go well with this frame.

Will I buy it again? Definitely maybe. It is not the fault of Wilier, though. During the past 10 years, I have not seen a game changing road bike frame. On the high end, they all look the same, feel the same with a few minute differences (please no flames...)

If the geometry is right for you, go for it. You'll like it (and brag about it.) The geometry is close but not 100% right, get a custom carbon frame. You'll like it better (but you can't brag about it...)

wingguy

by wingguy

tabl10s wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:19 pm
I have one that's a 2013 that I purchased as an NOS. From what I've read, the frame was changed in 2015 to thinner tubes and to be a touch lighter , aerodynamic and stiffer.
Meh, maybe.

I had one of the first gens and loved it. Super fun to ride all the time, really lively and resposive and genuinely extremely light. The new one is a completely different frame from the ground up and although they claimed it was lighter still I haven't ever seen a frame that comes anywhere close to the claimed weight, whereas my original did. Possibly because they simply started using a hell of a lot more paint. I think the internal cable system, while neat, also added a bit of weight over the original's external cable stops.

It's a highly individual thing, but the new aesthetics also leave me a little cold compared to the lovely flowing lines of the first one. YMMV!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

It's too bad you didn't ask this question two weeks ago as both bikes had the Enve stem and Zipp SL70 Aero's. The only difference would be the wheels(Roval 64's vs 32's).

I just got back from a ride and I think the Wilier might be a touch compliant(one has straight forks and the other doesn't).
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).