New Bike Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Afnole16

by Afnole16

My limit is about $3500.00 USD.

I mostly crit race, some road races. I weigh 175 but in July i have to go away for work and will allow me to ride 2x as much and hopefully get me into 160-165 range.

I was looking at:
Spec Allez Sprint, Tarmac SL4, Trek Madone 9.0, Oltre3, TCR, and Teammachine, I'm also open to suggestions

TonyM

by TonyM

Allez Sprint! Definitely a good geo for crits!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

northwestern

by northwestern

All Specialized bikes are overpriced, so I wouldn't get that.
I have a TCR Advanced Sl. The ISP is a pain to deal with,so I wouldn't get that either.

Look into other less popular brands: Ridley, Focus, Canyon, Cannondale, BMC.

Also, consider getting a cyclocross bike. The weight penalty of a few grams is worth being able to fit larger tires on and make the ride more comfy. Unless you're riding on perfect roads every day, it's pretty pointless to get a road bike.

Afnole16

by Afnole16

northwestern wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:20 pm
All Specialized bikes are overpriced, so I wouldn't get that.
I have a TCR Advanced Sl. The ISP is a pain to deal with,so I wouldn't get that either.

Look into other less popular brands: Ridley, Focus, Canyon, Cannondale, BMC.

Also, consider getting a cyclocross bike. The weight penalty of a few grams is worth being able to fit larger tires on and make the ride more comfy. Unless you're riding on perfect roads every day, it's pretty pointless to get a road bike.
Umm I havea Crockett and ride it for cross but i mostly race road and looking to replace my 14 Foil 20. I forgot though, i am looking at Canyon for sure

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Aero is the new thing these days. If you are looking for race speed then see if you can get comfy(ish) in an extreme position.

Seems the Madone is doing well in this area.

They do say that running wireless/electric gearing on it helps a lot (internal cabling maintenance) and that would effectively put it outside your specified price range. Maybe a used one? That'll give you a better bang for your buck.

Do the 3500usd include wheels? What of your body shape? What's your biggest fit issue?

For me I got longer legs (or shorter upper body) so I tend to fit smaller frames with short stems and hiked seats. I could benefit from another cm of head tube.

Madone has the H1 (short) and H2 (tall) head tube option so you should be covered.

/a

Afnole16

by Afnole16

alcatraz wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:08 am
Aero is the new thing these days. If you are looking for race speed then see if you can get comfy(ish) in an extreme position.

Seems the Madone is doing well in this area.

They do say that running wireless/electric gearing on it helps a lot (internal cabling maintenance) and that would effectively put it outside your specified price range. Maybe a used one? That'll give you a better bang for your buck.

Do the 3500usd include wheels? What of your body shape? What's your biggest fit issue?

For me I got longer legs (or shorter upper body) so I tend to fit smaller frames with short stems and hiked seats. I could benefit from another cm of head tube.

Madone has the H1 (short) and H2 (tall) head tube option so you should be covered.

/a
9.0 is internal routing, just not the headset which I don't like the cosmetic look and would prefer a piece stem/bar look. Im looking for stiffness for crit racing. I'm 69 inches 175lbs 15% BF. 29in inseam, On a 54 but think a 52 might be better. 3500 without rims

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

This would be a pretty smoking deal if you're in the US.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridl ... F0MTAwMTU3

muti

by muti

Cinelli vigorelli road.Absolute crit geometry,1× plus 2× compatible and you will not break the bank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com